Minutes 2016-09-07 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Tue Oct 11 2016, 01:02PM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Tue Oct 11 2016, 01:06PM ]

  LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL  
 
  Clerk: Olivia Beaumont, The Glade, Trostrey, Usk NP15 1JH. Tel. 01291 673515 email. clerk@llanbadoc.org 
 
LCC – Llanbadoc Community Council 
MCC – Monmouthshire County Council 
OVW – One Voice Wales 
GAVO – Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisations 
PCSO – Police Community Support Officer   
 
Minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 7th September 2016, 6.30pm at County Hall, Usk   

Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. James Lawrence (JL), Cllr. Peter Clarke (PC), Cllr. Jo Storey (JS), Cllr. Laura Jones (LJ), Cllr. Mark Reardon (MR) and Cllr. Jenny Carpenter (JC)   

Members of the Public: Police Community Support Officer Chris Watkins, County Councillor Val Smith (VS) and 2 members of the public (Woodside Residents)   

1.    Apologies for absence Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. John Wright, and Cllr. Laura Jones left at 7.30pm   

2.    Declarations of interest 
Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Board of Monmouthshire County Council.   

3.    Police Report
Chris Watkins PCSO based at Usk provided a report in the absence of PC1233 Peter Evans, as PCSO Stephen Cowles (Llanbadoc Ward) on annual leave. Crime Report:
  • Shed break at County Hall, theft of garden tools
  • Attempt theft of a caravan in Glascoed
  • Criminal damage Usk Island Car park
  • Increase in suspicious vehicles
Community Speed watch in Monkswood has now been assessed and passed to go ahead.   PCSO Chris Watkins provided information on how to local residents could participate in Community Speed watch, call into Usk police station or emailpeter.r.evans@gwent.pnn.police.uk or christopher.watkins@gwent.pnn.police.uk   Flashing sign, 30mph by Glen-yr-Afon suggested by PCSO Chris Watkins   County Cllr. Val Smith suggested members of the public attend the MCC Select Committee on Thursday 15thSeptember at 10am to raise such issues.   

4.    Report from County Councillor Val Smith   
·         Aneurin Bevan Community Health Council 
·         Telephone Box – Glascoed – Notify BT of stolen signage ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09, BT responded to say box is to be removed and a notice has been displayed in the box, circulated BT email with question to consider adoption by LCC?  AGENDA 
·         Road works holding up well 
·         Looking tidy the site 
·         St Madoc’s organ recital was very good 
·         Road Safety issues, growing concern, working together with a higher profile, more chance of getting something done 
·         Residents of Prioress Mill have been notified of Dwr Cymru, Welsh Water tests   

5.    Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak   
a.       Residents expressed their continued concern over the speed of traffic through Woodside, and asked for a 20mph speed limit to be investigated.  PCSO Chris Watkins said there is no mandatory 20mph speed limit.   
 
b. County Councillor Val Smith suggested residents contact Usk Town Council, as they have arranged a meeting with MCC Highways Department to discuss a reduction in the speed limit in Usk Town as it would be useful to share ideas.  Contact details are: The Sessions House, Maryport Street, Usk, NP15 1AD. Email: clerk@usktown.co.uk Telephone: 01291 673011 ACTION: Clerk to fwd. contact details Done 08/09   
 
c. PCSO Chris Watkins agreed to make a referral to the Gwent Police Traffic Camera Unit, to enquire of the viability of the use of covert equipment referred to as ‘Golden River’, which could be mounted on lamp post. Also to enquire if The GO SAFE team can use mobile camera units in the area – possibly a bike? ACTION: CWDone 08/09 
 
d. The clerk confirmed that she is still awaiting a response from MCC Highways. The chair requested that on behalf of LCC. the clerk expresses disappointment at not receiving a reply to LCC’s correspondence and invitation to attend this meeting to discuss the issues raised, the clerk is now to ask that an MCC Highways Officer attends an onsite meeting with local residents at Woodside, PC confirmed LCC should support to discuss the viability of their request for road calming such as ‘sleeping policemen’. LJ stated there would be high costs to MCC, and therefore likely to be rejected due to MCC budget constraints. On onsite meeting could also consider the issues faced by Woodside resident, Mr Nixon raised at the last meeting, in promoting his accessibility, which is currently hindered due to his requirement to use a mobility scooter and the camber of the pavement. ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09, on 12/09 Received reply from Paul Keeble, MCC. He requests to suggest dates to meet with residents later this month, forward onto residents for a response.

e. The clerk is still in the process of ascertaining the owner of the small triangle of land, between Usk River Bridge and the footpath to Usk Island.  It is very overgrown and certainly would benefit from some attention.  Look into a ‘volunteer’ clear up of the area, LJ confirmed that her Dad would help. ACTION: Clerk – 14/09 Clerk contacted private ground maintenance company for a quote too clear, also emailed Tim Bradfield, MCC for a quote too clear, emailed Tony Kear ‘Usk in Bloom’ requesting details of ownership and to ask if Usk in Bloom would consider maintenance, MCC Estates – Left message for Ben Wyn Stanley to call me back. 01633 644965
   
f. Dog Fouling in Woodside – At the request of a local resident, a ‘Give Dog Fouling the Red Card’ sign has been purchased by Llanbadoc Community Council and is ready to put up.  County Councillor Val Smith is keen to speak to the local resident who requested the sign, to discuss the best position.  As soon as this is known, the sign will be put up by Llanbadoc Community Council.  JS confirmed that if you witness any dog fouling this can be reported to MCC and if you are willing to be a witness then further action can be taken with the owners. ACTION: VS   

6.    Adoption of minutes – Wednesday 3rd August 2016, Proposed by PC and seconded by MR, approved by all present, signed by the chair.  ACTION: Clerk to be published on website Done 08/09   

7.    Clerks Report – Please see full correspondence list.   
 
·         Invitation to MCC Chairman’s afternoon tea and tour of Caldicot Castle – Sunday 25th September ·         Tour of Britain Cycle race – rolling road closure – Thursday 8th September – PC reiterated timings for rolling road closure. 
·         Usk Show – Saturday 10th September   

8.    Councillors Reports   

8.1  Procedural and Financial 
(Sub-Group - Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter)   
 
a.       Notice of Conclusion of external on behalf of the Auditor General for Wales. 
 
i.         Annual Return presented to Council – approved and accepted by the council 
ii.       Issues arising from the audit, only one issue has been drawn to the attention of the council: Internal auditor has not produced a detail report of work undertaken   

The issue: The internal auditor has not provided detail of the individual testing performed either on the annual return or in a separate report to the council. 

Why has this been raised: The council is unable to satisfy itself that the full scope of the internal audit assignment has been covered and the work has been performed in all relevant areas. 

What do we recommend you do: The council must ensure that the internal auditor fully completes the ‘outline of work undertaken’ boxes on the annual return or provides the council with a detailed report of the work undertaken.   ACTION: Clerk to send to John Turner for completion DONE 13/09   
 
iii.     Advertisement of the conclusion of the audit- to be displayed for 14 days before 30th September ACTION: Clerk DONE 13/09 Displayed on LCC website and LCC noticeboards at Llanbadoc, Glascoed and Monkswood.   
 
b.      Meeting of Procedural and Financial Sub-group arranged for 21st September 6.30pm, Glen-Yr-Afon House Hotel, clerk to attend, to send email reminder to councillors – ACTION: Clerk email to confirm Done 08/09 
 
c.       Contract control – Twyn-y-Cryn Tree Surgery 2016 – DEFERRED – ACTION: Cllr. Steve Waring 
 
d.      Outstanding member’s interests – Requirement to publish on website – Completed by PC and JC, awaiting LJ  
 
e.      Model Financial Regulations – June 2016 from OVW - DEFERRED   


8.2  Environment 
(Sub-Group - Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Mark Reardon, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence)   

8.3  Website 
(Sub-Group - Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Laura Jones, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter and Cllr. James Lawrence)   
 
Meeting arranged for Tuesday 13th September, 9.30am, clerks home. To send email reminder to councillors ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09.  Successful meeting held on 13/09 with JW, JC and JL in attendance. The clerk updated the website, publishing / removing and editing a number of articles on the website during the meeting, Johan Klos has provided admin functions for JC and JL to add and edit items on the LCC website.  Details sent to them directly.  JC made notes of the actions from the meeting.   

8.4  (Sub-Group) Newsletter 
(Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Hilary Jones and Cllr. Jo Storey)   

8.5 MCC Cluster Meeting 
15th September 2016, Usk Community Hub, 7 - 8.30pm – HJ, MR to attend   

8.6 Woodlands Trust - Cefn Ila
  1. Oral History event 18th September
  2. Apple Day 23rd October – advertise on LCC Facebook page ACTION: LJ & HJ
  3. Usk pathways project - recce walking routes from Cefn Ila, 15th September, meeting at 9.30am ACTION: MR to attend
8.7 Usk Chamber of Commerce 
Last meeting held on 15th August. 6pm Three Salmons Hotel – LJ could not attend        

8.8 OVW 
Training schedule circulated, please notify the clerk if you wish to attend any of the coursesHJ stated it was helpful to speak to other members of councils on these courses.   

8.9 Give Dog Fouling the Red Card 
Meeting held on 18th August 2016 attended by JS. Additional sign ordered and received for Woodside public footpath, to be installed by Mark Jones, VS to speak to residents about location. JS also confirmed that she had stickers for lamp posts & poo bags. Common theme amongst councils no invoices from Merlin Waste Collection.  JS stated that if you report fouling the need to agree to be a witness.  Date of next meeting 26th January 2017. Dog fouling awareness day 8th September 2016.    

8.10 Police and Crime Commissioner Event for Third Sector Organisations in Gwent 
10am – 11.30am, Monday 12th September 2016: Constabulary Headquarters, Cwmbran – no representation 

8.11 Police and Crime Commissioner Community Council Event 
27th September, Shire Hall, Monmouth – HJ to attend (HJ, confirmed attendance via Jessica Tippins, Gwent Police) PC also wishes to attend, to confirm attendance - ACTION: Clerk   

9      Matters Arising 
 
a.       Llanbadoc Island – Grass cutting, refuse collections, picnic table, no BBQ sign – correspondence from members of the public. ACTION: Clerk MCC to write officially that Llanbadoc Community Council do not own Usk Island. MCC Estates – Left message for Ben Wyn Stanley to call me back. 01633 644965 
 
b.      Usk Island – frequency of refuse collections by MCC – left message 
 
c.       Reservoir Trail Footpath – section through Yew Tree Cottage, Glascoed 
 
d.      Community Council meetings in August 
 
e.      Badgers – Glascoed Commons noted.   

10   Planning   

10.1 MCC Planning Committee Meeting Tuesday 6th September   

10.2 Planning Applications   

10.3 MCC Enforcement Cases 
(confidential) Email dated 8th August – 1 new case for Glascoed and 1 closed case   

11   Finance 
a.       Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting – no queries 
b.      Passbook balance – £10,731.41 confirmed and signed by the chair 
c.       £35.20 Clerks expenses (August 2016) Proposed by PC & seconded by JS ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09 
d.      ICO – Data Protection Registration renewal £35.00 – cheque payable to Information Commissioner Proposed by PC & seconded by JS ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09 
e.      35 bags of concrete - £175 plus VAT, as approved on 04/05/16 – invoice required - ONGOING 
f.        Hedge Cutting Glascoed Lane, cheque payable to Ian Lewis £120 inc. VAT Proposed by PC & seconded by JS ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09   

12   Any Other Business 
(at the discretion of the chairman) 
 
a.       School transport – Not allowed on school buses without bus passes. Pass not arrived. MCC transport to King Henry. 
b.        Path from BAE systems to Cefn Mawr Lane – verge over grown onto path. ACTION: Clerk 
c.        Councillor Contact List for Noticeboards – remove LJ’s address ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09   

13   Date of next meeting – Wednesday 5th October 2016   
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.15pm   
 
 
Yours faithfully,   
 
 
 
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk
 
Back to top Print View