Glascoed Ward
posted on Mon Oct 08 2012, 01:23PM
by JohanKlos

Glascoed
 
glasco4.jpgThe most southerly of the council’s three wards (with an electoral roll of some 200 persons) Glascoed can lay claim to being the main leisure / country pursuits area.
Fishing , sailing and bird watching are available on and around Llandegfedd Reservoir with golf at nearby Woodlake Park golf club.The Community Council have a small children’s play area and maintain playing fields at Glascoed Lower Common and own woodlands at Jenny’s Bushes, Twn-y-Cryn and Pantau Bushes.A network of footpaths (and some bridleways) exist through the woodlands and surrounding countryside providing extensive walking facilities ; and the community council have prepared some walks leaflets which are available elsewhere on the web site.
A hoard of Bronze Age axe heads, swords, sickles, knife blades and spearheads were found several years ago in Glascoed and now reside in Cardiff museum (as its not always on show an appointment with Mr A.Gwilt – curator, might be necessary).
 
The Baptist Chapel of Mount Zion was built circa 1815 and the history of many of the local families can be traced in the old churchyard.glasco5.jpg
glasco6.jpgA beautiful summer display of wild orchids and cowslips can be found in the churchyard of St Michael’s ( Chapel of Ease built 1861) and this churchyard and the old lime kilns (fired by the excellent charcoal made from the local alder trees) on the other side of Church Lane are now a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Whilst Glascoed is now a quiet, peaceful village it was once the scene of the 1860 Riots over disputed grazing rights on common land which led to 28 local people appearing before the Usk magistrates.
Back to top Print View