Minutes 2017-01-04 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Thu Jan 05 2017, 11:20AM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Fri Feb 03 2017, 10:02AM ]

  LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL  
 
  Clerk: Olivia Beaumont, The Glade, Trostrey, Usk NP15 1JH. Tel. 01291 673515 email. clerk@llanbadoc.org 
 
Minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 4th January 2017 6.30pm, County Hall, The Rhadyr, Usk 

Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. John Wright (JW), Cllr. Jenny Carpenter (JC), Cllr. Mark Reardon (MR), Cllr. Jo Storey (JS), Cllr. Peter Clarke (PC), Cllr. Steve Waring (SW) and Cllr. James Lawrence (JL)   

Members of the public: 3 members of the public and County Councillor Val Smith (VS)   

1.    Apologies for absence: Cllr. Laura Jones   

2.    Declarations of interest 
Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Board of Monmouthshire County Council.    
 
3. Police Report – No report available (last report received 7th December 2016). 22 Gwent Now email notifications received as listed on the clerk’s report   

4.    Report from County Councillor Val Smith 
·         VS will obtain contact details for Mr Roger Morgan, who cut the grass on Glascoed common without any communication with the community council.  VS has heard he was challenged by a resident with commoner’s rights.  VS stated it was important to establish rights of commoners and to keep communication open with the Community Council.  ACTION: VS 
·         Triangle of land on the Llanbadoc side of the Usk River Bridge does not belong to Natural Resources Wales, VS considers this may belong to MCC 
·         Further to the Usk Traffic Workshop held on 15th November, circulation of Mr Hamilton-Baillie’s scoping report titled: “Tackling traffic and safety concerns through place-making and lower speeds.” Areas of Llanbadoc are included. 
·         Usk Primary insufficient safe school parking still an unresolved issue 
·         Road Safety group have met, nothing significant to report 
·         Water Pumping station meeting – Excellent representation of local households, also attended the site meeting with the designers, to look in depth and issues that had not been aware of before.   The chair thanked Cllr. Val Smith for her report   

5.    Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak   
 
A member of the public voiced their concerns over the new container park in Llanbadoc, no consultation with residents, concerns over the appearance of the site.  JC has looked at the Local Development Plan, which specifies the area as B1 - Specifically for light industrial use.  The clerk has contacted MCC and Paula Clarke is investigating, ACTION: Clerk to follow up.   
 
A member of the public voiced their concerns over the ongoing problem with speed of traffic through Woodside, concerns for the safety of residents; the elderly and those with disabilities. Next MCC Stronger Communities meeting to be held on 26th January, County Councillor Val Smith commented that she would take this forward. ACTION: VS   
 
Mr and Mrs Squire were present to explain their planning application for a converted barn and answer any questions.  The Chair brought this item forward.   
 
Application Number:  DC/2016/01340*        
Application Type: Planning Permission 
Description of Proposal: Barn conversion to residential use. 
Location: Land adjacent to New House Farm, Little Mill, Monmouthshire NP4 0UD   
 
*Clerk requested an extension for comments on 29/12/2016, approved by Mark Hand   
 
Vote: For: 7 Abstain: 1 - Recommendation for approval ACTION: Clerk   
 
The chair thanked members of the public for their comments   

6.    Adoption of minutes – The minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 7th December 2016 were presented to the council for adoption all present in favour and minutes signed by the chair.   

7.    Clerks Report – Please see full correspondence list. 
 
a.       Elections 2017 – Briefing session for Town and Community Clerks to be held on 24th January 2017 6pm in The Council Chamber at County Hall (nomination process, qualifications and disqualifications as candidates, counting of votes and the cost of community council elections) – clerk confirmed her attendance on 08/12/16 – PC raised the point ‘if no election, i.e. if not contested – if the right number of candidates then there is no need for an election, and there should be no cost to the council. ACTION: Clerk to confirm this. 
b.      Buckingham Palace Garden party application – HJ and JW applying to attend – ACTION: HJ 
c.       Cluster Meetings – ACTION: JC to ask for an agenda – Debbie McCarty – Action: JC & JL to attend 
d.      Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales South Wales workshop – Wed 15th February, 10:30 – 12:30, St Michael’s Centre, Abergavenny, NP7 5UD – ACTION: JW to attend 
e.      One Voice Wales Awards Seminar in March – ACTION: JW and environment group to submit entry before 20th January   

8.    Reports   

(Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial (Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
 
* Organisational subscriptions for 2017-2018 – Discussed membership to the various subscriptions. MR confirmed the benefits of membership to Gwent Wildlife Trust, as a local environmental group.  Open Spaces Society able to provide advice on Common Land, as Common land owned is owned by the council, this membership is beneficial JS confirmed.  OVW membership – panel of experts we can refer to. HJ confirmed.  All present in agreement with these memberships.
* Next Procedural and Finance meeting at Glen-yr-Afon, Monday 16th Jan 6.30pm – To start work on Financial business plan for mid-term spending and to look at Standing Orders for May AGM review.  All sub-group members present confirmed their availability to attend this meeting.
  
(Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Mark Reardon, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence)   
 
·         Risk Assessment produced by SW for volunteers to sign – ACTION: Environment group agenda for next meeting 
·         Pathcare session yesterday – Route of a newly proposed walk leaflet 8 – draft out and welsh water printing up 
·         The new bin installed by MCC at Glascoed crossroads filling up and emptied regularly 
·         ACTION: Next meeting Friday 13th January 2017 at MR’s house    

(Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Laura Jones, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter and Cllr. James Lawrence)  
·         ACTION: Meeting next Tuesday 10th January - 3pm at SW house – List of what can and can’t be done (JL provided apologies due to work commitments) 
·         To consider an easier website to self-administer – looking at options   

9.    Matters Arising 
a.       Welsh Water – Improvement plans to Raw Water Pumping Station at Prioress Mill Lane – Information available for inspection at MCC, County Hall, The Radyr Usk NP15 1GA – MR updated council members; well worth having, very informative on the screen, pre-application process appears a tick box exercise, as applicants are not replying to any comments, just passing onto MCC planning dept. 
b.      Request for a copy of the Electoral Register 2016/2017 – Completed by PC ACTION: Clerk to submit 
c.       Community Event – Fete at Glascoed Pub – JW, HJ, JC and SW, JL, all interested in being involved - JW to organise meeting ACTION: JW 
d.      Access to Sports Facilities – LJ requested item - Deferred   

10.  Planning   

10.1 MCC Planning Committee Meeting - 10th Jan 2017 – no planning applications for LCC ward being discussed   

10.2 Report from the LCC Planning sub group All councillors interested except PC and SW in being part of the LCC Planning sub-group.  The Clerk has contacted Mark Hand to see if online facilities will be available to use at County Hall, awaiting reply. All agreed that committees only advisory, full council for vote. Informative working group to provide information, individual councillors still to vote independently. Sequence of events - To discuss planning applications as detailed on the LCC Agenda published on the Thursday before a meeting. Sub group first meeting on Monday 30th January at 3.30pm at County Hall – ACTION: Clerk to confirm. Group to report back and full council take a vote on at meeting, the following Wednesday   

10.3 Planning Applications                                               

Application Number:  DC/2016/01237*      
Application Type: Planning Permission Description of Proposal: Single storey extension to rear. 
Location: Cefn Illa Lodge, Llanbadoc, Usk NP15 1PR   
 
*Clerk requested an extension for comments on 08/12/2016 
 
JC, JW and HJ noted the following points, which full council agreed to submit with response.   
 
1.      Because this is in the curtilage of the Grade 2 listed park is it necessary to make an application for listed building consent? If so has this been done? 
2.      We note this is a particularly large extension compared to the existing size of the house 
3.      The existing stone work at the front of the house is being swamped by the proposed new rendered extension 
4.      We believe that the appearance of the existing house will be seriously affected by the proposed new extension.   
 
Vote: For: O, against: 6, Abstain:  2 Recommend: Refusal ACTION: Clerk 
LCC do not wish to make any further representation at planning committee   

Application Number:  DC/2016/01377*      
 
Application Type: Planning Permission Description of Proposal: Proposed extension to retail space. 
Location: Usk Garden Centre, Llanbadoc, Usk NP15 1TG   
 
*Clerk requested an extension for comments on 29/12/2016, approved by Mark Hand   
 
Vote: 7 For, 1 Abstain Recommend: Approval ACTION: Clerk   

10.4 MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential) 

November List - 3 cases removed from list and no new cases
  • Beaufort Arms recent break-in – JC to provide contact details of owner from Mrs Davey.  Clerk to write to the owner as building deteriorating.
  11. Finance 
·         Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting. – no queries on accounts 
·         Passbook balance £12,340.87 confirmed and signed by Jo Storey as a finance group representative ·         -£35.20 Clerks expenses – proposed by PC, and seconded by SW ACTION: Clerk   

12. Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman) 
·         SW brought to the attention of the council a RTA that had occurred between a saloon car and a transit van on Rumble Street, police were involved. 
·         Next meeting to discuss rearranging the meeting agenda – Planning brought forward ACTION: Clerk 
·         On Agenda list Police Report as ‘when available’ ACTION: Clerk 
·         Planning applications how the council communicates applications being discussed. Addition to LCC website ‘if you have submitted a planning application to MCC that is located within the Llanbadoc, Glascoed or Monkswood wards, as part of community engagement, Llanbadoc Community Council are consultees, and therefore will be asked to provide comments and a recommendation to MCC on the proposal.  Please contact the clerk or your local ward councillor for further information on how you can be involved’ ACTION: Clerk 
·         Annual Dinner - Glen-yr- Afon, requested Friday 3rd March – TBC ACTION: Clerk   

13.  Date of next meeting – Wednesday 1st February 2017   
 
There be no further business the meeting closed at 20.14   
 
Yours faithfully, 
 
 
Olivia Beaumont
Back to top Print View