Minutes 2017-02-01 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Fri Feb 03 2017, 10:01AM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Sat Apr 15 2017, 11:37AM ]

  LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL  
   Minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 1st February 2017 6.30pm, County Hall, The Rhadyr, Usk                                                                                                                                                                                 

Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. Steve Waring and Cllr. John Wright   

Members of the public present: County Cllr. Val Smith and Rhydian EVANS Pc1233.   

1.    Apologies for absence None received      

Did not attend: Cllr. Laura Jones and Cllr. Mark Reardon   

2.    Declarations of interest Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Board of Monmouthshire County Council.   

3.    Police Report Rhydian EVANS Pc1233. provided a detailed verbal report based on the December 2016 and January 2017 Crime report received on 1st Feb 2017 ACTION: Clerk circulate to council members Done 02/02   
 
For reference, for the period 1st December 2016, to 31st January 2017, there were 60 x (Sixty) calls to GWENT Police covering the LLANBADOC Ward area. These would cover all calls, including concern for safety, road traffic matters, crime and matters of a general Police nature.   On 08/12/16, report received of a break into a commercial premise in the PRESCOED area, entry forced by smashing a ground floor window, untidy search made. Small amount of cash stolen, together with a Blu-Ray player. No witnesses, and no CCTV. Scenes of crime in attendance, enquiries ongoing.   Also on 08/12/16, report received of a suspicious Van in the LLANCAYO area. Staff disturbed occupants of the vehicle looking around outbuildings, believed as a preparatory act towards stealing goods. No CCTV, enquiries ongoing.   On 27/01/17, report received of a break in to a dwelling currently under renovation. Believed persons had climbed scaffolding and gained access through a boarded-up window. Once entry gained, a log burner was reported stolen from within worth approx. £600. No witnesses or CCTV, Scenes of Crime in attendance, and awaiting results of analysis.   It was also reported that speed monitoring data for the area was now available and speed checks in Rhadyr Averaged 36.4 mph ACTION: Clerk Inform Peter Sutherland   

4.    Report from County Councillor Val Smith   
 
·         Consultation on National Dementia 
·         Telephone box at Glascoed – Advised planning wish to keep, as no mobile reception in the area 
·         Asked resident Roger Morgan to call on Chair, Hilary Jones regarding future grass cutting at Glascoed Common 
·         Usk Primary school – parking still an issue 
·         Aware of speed issues, Woodside – Road Safety and working Group have had 2 meetings 
·         Rights of Way Improvement Plan – Consultation period closed on 29th January 
·         Velothon to go ahead 
·         MCC have entered into city deal 
·         2 Open Budget meetings 
·         Usk Bridge Closures 8th – 13th Feb 2017   

5.    Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak   
 
The chair read out a letter received from resident Ann Bowyer requesting for a litter bin to be installed at Trostra Crossroads. ACTION: Clerk to contact Dewi Lane, and inform Ann Bowyer of actions   Apologies received from resident Peter Sutherland   

6.    Adoption of minutes – The minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 4th January 2017 were presented to the council for adoption. Proposed by JC and seconded by SW, all present in favour and the minutes signed by the chair ACTION: Clerk to change from draft minutes on website.   

7.    Clerks Report – Please see full correspondence list.   
 
·         Closure of Usk River Bridge - The Temporary Traffic Regulation Order will be in operation from 19:00 to 05:00 only commencing on Wednesday the 8th of February for a period of up to 5 nights (on the 8th,9th,10th,13th and 14th of February).  ACTION: Clerk enquire about Pedestrian access? Done 02/02 Answer: Yes, pedestrians will be allowed across Usk bridge, but they may need to be escorted through the work site by on site staff, but they will be allowed across whilst the bridge is shut to traffic. Traffic & Network Manager, Paul Keeble, said: “We anticipate that the inspection work will be complete by 10th February. If additional work is needed this can be finalised on 13th February. We do not expect a closure to be necessary on 14th February but if required we could consider starting the work later.” 
 
·         Donation requests from Tenuous Cancer Care, Kidney Wales Cymru Cardiff 10km, Usk Park Project, and Gwent Young Farmers – no available funds in LCC Budget. 
 
·         Usk Park Project – Cllr. Peter Clarke informed council members that funding had been promised to meet the £2500 shortfall.   
 
·         LCC Annual Dinner 10th March 2017 - confirmed 

8.    Reports   

(Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial (Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
  • Meeting held on Monday 16th January 2017 – notes circulated, verbal report by HJ
·         Standing Orders – The spending limit states £600, but financial control document states £500. To amend financial control document to £600 in line with Standing Orders.  Proposed by JW and seconded by SW ACTION: Clerk Amend Financial Control document 
·         Standing Orders – In an election year, it states that if new members are elected a meeting must be convened within 14 days of the date of the election. Propose that it states ‘that in an election year, if new members are elected, the AGM will be held within 14 days of the election. Proposed HJ, Seconded JC. ACTION: Clerk Amend Standing Orders and date of meeting in May 2017 to be moved to 10th May 2017, after the election on 4th May 2017. 
·         Look at drawing up a 5-year business plan, items discussed were: Replacement play equipment at Llanbadoc Island and Lower Common, Noticeboards, Forestry work, Deeds for Twyn y Cryn, Speed signs – ACTION: HJ 
·         Contact MCC –  request report on inspection of play equipment at Glascoed Lower Common and Glascoed Play area, when did this last take place ACTON: Clerk 
·         Noted no provision in the 2017/2018 budget for election costs, add a line for election costs to be added to the budget - 2017/18 election costs to come from reserves. ACTION: Clerk 
·         Financial control Document – It was noted that there are two spelling mistakes 9.2 and 9.13 both say contact, which should read ‘contract’ ACTION: Clerk   

(Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Mark Reardon, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence)   
 
·         Meeting held on 13th January 2017 – notes circulated, verbal report by SW and JW 
·         New litter bin in Glascoed is not being emptied regularly enough – when and how often is it being emptied? ACTION: Clerk – contact Dewi Lane 
·         Noting the management report for the following commons, work now needs to be carried out at Lower Common and Twyn Y Cryn.  SW and JW to walk around Twyn Y Cryn to assess the work required. Action SW, JW. 
·         Tenders to be sought for the work, Morris’ of Usk, Green Grafters and Steve Beale to be contacted. SW to do tendering process.  Action SW 
·         Work has been carried out at Trostra and Pantau by the Path Care group.  
·         Jenny’s Bushes -  Mark to survey and report back.  Action MR. 
·         Still no further news from the solicitor regarding the ownership of the triangle of land at the end of Twyn Y Cryn - It was agreed that John would contact Jonathon Stevens (solicitor) to ask whether we can have permission to erect stock fencing on this piece of land.  Action JW 
·         Walks need to be surveyed ready for Spring.  We have 100 walks in our area and only 20 of these have been surveyed.  Walks 1 – 5 and Walk 6 need to be surveyed again.  We are aware that 75/100 paths still need to be surveyed. To be discussed at the next meeting and perhaps draw up a rota.  This will allow people to check their commitments.
·         Walk leaflets 1 – 5 need to be reviewed and rewritten; Walk 1 – Mark Reardon, Walk 2 – Steve Waring, Walk 3 – John Wright, Walk 4 – Steve Waring, Walk 5 – John Wright. New walks are being developed.   Walk 8 is in hand, a second walk is to be undertaken with text and photographs taken for the leaflet to be written. John to ask Mervyn and Richard to look at developing Walk 9.  Action JW 
·         Steve has produced a risk assessment which will be handed out to each Path Care volunteer, they will sign to say they have read and received annually.  John is to draw up a risk assessment which will be completed before each Path Care Session., this should be a simple tick box form. Action JW 
·         Hilary to look for chain saw training in the area, reported back on costs by Coleg Gwent.  Action HJ 
·         Path Care group members are registered with Monmouthshire County Council. Action JW 
·         Llanbadoc Island Car Park - Steve Lane, Operations Manager, Mon CC is to arrange for a lorry load of Planings to be delivered to Llanbadoc Island Car Park, the Path Care group will then spread the Planings and using a whacker plate fill the pot holes.  
·         New sign for the telephone kiosk – Hilary has sent the details to Mon CC to see whether we can have a new sign for the listed kiosk.  Action HJ 
·         There has been an offer from Woodland Trust Volunteers to help us with path care etc if working in the Cefn Ila area. 
·         Walk leaflets 1 – 7 to be sent in PDF form to Matthew Green at Mon CC.  Matthew will then create a link to the leaflets from the Monmouthshire CC website.  Action HJ - DONE    

(Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Laura Jones, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter and Cllr. James Lawrence)   
 
·         Meeting held on 10th January 2017 – notes circulated, verbal report by JC 
·         Updates to the website including photos 
·         Check renewal of website and what services are included in contract. Registration of Domain name ACTION: Clerk 
·         Add website to the Business Plan ACTION: HJ 
·         Clerk contacted Mat Burhouse for his availability and costings – unable to accept work 
·         Next meeting Tuesday 7th February 3pm,   Election Candidates Briefing Sessions – Sessions held on the 26th January 2017 and 31st January 2017 at 6:00pm in the Council Chamber, County Hall, Usk. HJ attended and reported to council members.  
 
(Sub-Group) Community Event  
 
Meeting held on 31st January 2017at 6pm at JW’s house. Suggestion for a Ceilidh, mid to late July 2017, venue Glascoed Pub, band – socialise with electorate and promote council, all present in favour   

One Voice Wales Meeting – Thursday 26th January at 7pm, Sessions House in Usk – attended by JS, still asking for sharing good practice. LCC phone box and newsletter. JS provided apologies for the next OVW meeting. OVW Conference and Events 2017, 23rd March 2017, Innovative Practice National Awards Conference and Ceremony, 30th September 2017 National Conference and AGM, both events will be held at the Royal Welsh Showground, Llanelwydd, Builth Wells   

Give Dog Fouling The Red Card Group meeting - Thursday 26th January 2.30pm – JS could not attend  
 
9.    Matters Arising 
 
a.       Rearrange running order of matters on the agenda – HJ requested to move items 10 and 11 ahead of item 8. All in agreement ACTION: Clerk 
b.      Vacancy on council write to Peter Sutherland – provide HJ’s email address ACTION: Clerk 
c.       Cost of elections to come from reserves 
d.      Access to Sports Facilities – LJ requested item, deferred from previous meeting – Deferred to one more meeting ACTION: Clerk  
e.      Grass cutting contract MCC – Communication with residents – ACTION: HJ to put a note through Mr Morgan’s door 
f.        Container park in Llanbadoc – Awaiting response from MCC planning Dept. 
g.       Beaufort Arms – HJ to email Kamlesh Patel, owner ACTION: HJ   

10.  Planning   

10.1 MCC Planning Committee Meeting   

10.2 Report from the LCC Planning sub group 
 
·         Room booked at County Hall every Monday, before the Wednesday Council meeting 
·         Group met on Monday 30th January 2017   

10.3 Planning Applications  
 
Application Number:  DC/2016/01303*      
Application Type: Planning Permission Description of Proposal: New accessible ground floor flat for applicant's disabled daughter, and upstairs sleeping accommodation for her carers staying overnight. Location: Aberayron House, Cwm Road, Glascoed NP4 0TF    
 
*NB. Extension for comments requested on 17/01 
*Applicant provided apologies for absence via Cllr. Val Smith   
 
Vote 6: For, 1: Abstain, O: Refusal   Recommend Approval Comments: The flat should be included in main building for council tax purposes and not rated as a separate building.  Its residential use should only be used in association with the family in the main house.  ACTION: Clerk Inform MCC   
 
Application Number:  DC/2016/01235          
Application Type: Modification or Removal of Condition Description of Proposal: Variation of condition no. 5 of planning permission DC/2015/00499. Location: Cwmsoar, Glascoed Lane, Glascoed NP4 0TX   
 
Vote 6: For, 1: Abstain, O: Refusal   Recommend Approval Comments: Recommending approval of removal of 28-day clause rule but retain ‘no caravans/tents between 30th September to 1st March’ ACTION: Clerk Inform MCC   
 
Planning Application: DC/2016/01002 - UTAG response to comments / objections   
 
The planning sub-group reviewed the recent correspondence from BAE, UTAG and Monmouthshire County Council and consider original recommendation from LCC to stand without further comment.   

10.4 MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential)   

11. Finance 
 
·         Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting 
·         Passbook balance £16,815.67 confirmed and signed by the chair 
·         -£43.19 Clerks expenses (including £7.99 Office 365 monthly subscription) Proposed by PC, seconded by JS ACTION: Clerk 
·         -£6.78 Merlin Waste – collections 9th and 23rd January 2017 Proposed by PC, seconded by JS ACTION: Clerk 
·         Invoices received after publication of the agenda -£45.00 Open Spaces Society renewal 01/02/2017. Clerk salary OCT-DEC 2016 ACTION: Clerk Agenda for next meeting 
·         Appointment of internal auditor for 2016/2017 – It was agreed by all present to ask John Turner to be the internal auditor for Llanbadoc Community Council ACTION: Clerk – Issue engagement letter   

12. Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman)  
 
 Agenda submission of election forms for candidates at next meeting – Post out nomination forms asap ACTION: Clerk Done 02/02    
 
Due to the election on 4th May 2017, the date of the ordinary meeting on 3rd May, will need to be moved to 10th May 2017. AGM 6pm ACTION: Clerk Advertise   
 
Fencing of football pitch at Usk Island – PC – ACTION: Clerk add to agenda   
 
Cluster meetings – JC – ACTION: Clerk add to agenda   
 
Town and Community Councils Survey (emailed to councillors on 26/01) – JW – ACTION: Clerk add to agenda   

13. Date of next meetings – Wednesday 1st March 2017, Wednesday 5th April 2017 and Wednesday 10th May 2017   
 
Apologies received from JC for meeting on Wed 1st March 2017 ACTION: Clerk note on agenda   
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.25   
 
Yours faithfully,    
 
 
 
 Olivia Beaumont, Clerk
Back to top Print View