Minutes 2017-04-05 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Sat Apr 15 2017, 05:16PM
by Jenny Carpenter
[ Edited Thu May 18 2017, 01:06PM ]

  LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL  
 
  Clerk: Olivia Beaumont, The Glade, Trostrey, Usk NP15 1JH. Tel. 01291 673515 email. clerk@llanbadoc.org 
  Meeting of Llanbadoc Community Council on Usk on Wednesday 5th April 2017 at 6.30pm   

Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. Jennifer Carpenter (JC), Cllr. John Wright (JW), Cllr. Mark Reardon (MR), Cllr. James Lawrence (JL), Cllr. Jo Storey (JS), Cllr. Laura Jones (LJ) and Cllr. Steve Waring (SW)   

Members of the public: County Cllr. Val Smith and residents Peter Sutherland and Nick Davis   The Chair announced that Cllr. Laura Jones will not be standing for re-election to the Community Council and this will be her last meeting.  Laura explained she needs to leave early at 7.15pm for another engagement.                                                                                                                                                           
1.      Apologies for absence: Cllr. Peter Clarke 
  
2.      Declarations of interest:  Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Committee of Monmouthshire County Council.
 
3.      Police Report   On 18/02/17, suspicious activity reported on WOODSIDE Industrial Estate, after a report of 2 vehicles seen loitering on the Estate during the hours of darkness immediately prior to an alarm activation at a premise. Officers in attendance, and no sign of criminal activity. Believed false call with good intent.   
On 25/02/17, report received of motorbikes, (a Quad and an Off-Road Bike) speeding along PERGOED Lane, GLASCOED. No details available of riders, etc. Casual patrols to be paid in the area by USK Neighbourhood Policing Team, as suspected that weekends are the peak time for calls of this nature.   
‘Go-Safe’ have adopted a Safety Camera Van site at ALEXANDER Terrace, MONKSWOOD, (which is a 40mph restricted zone). Updates on its deployments and effectiveness will be fed back to the Community Council in due course. This is in addition to a further site that has been re-instated on BERTHON Road, LITTLE MILL, (which falls under GOYTRE Ward Area).   
Several reports received during this period of various scams, or attempted frauds. These can vary from phone calls from a supposed Service Provider requesting access to your computer, to tele sales attempting to sell items direct at over inflated prices. Members of the public are advised to treat any such calls with caution, and never to provide personal details, passwords, or PIN details should they be requested. If in doubt, ask for the assistance of a trusted 3rd party, or should you suspect that you have fallen victim to a fraud, contact ‘Action Fraud’, or if happening at the time, call GWENT Police on either ‘999’ or ‘101’, dependent on the circumstances.   

4.      Report from County Councillor Val Smith   
·         Excellent presentation on Lead Creative Schools programme by Usk Primary School, premier held at Savoy Theatre in Monmouth 
·         Earth moving at Glascoed Pub, causing concern, enforcement officers attended 
·         Suggested residents could attend Strong Communities and speak on local issues – 10am tomorrow 
·         Presentation by Welsh Government on Broad band – Public comment welcome 
·         Air quality sessions installed at Usk Bridge ·         Handed A472 petition to County Council last week, chaos in lanes this evening 
·         Commented on state of Car park and track at St Madoc’s, the chair responded with progress LCC has been making. 
·         All seats for MCC elections contested   

5.      Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak   
Mr Peter Sutherland attended a meeting with MCC Officer Paul Keeble and County Councillor Val Smith regarding the ongoing speeding issue at Woodside, items discussed included the financial offer from local resident to install a speed camera, creating a pinch point and instalment of golden river (local police device).  Note the flashing speed sign by Usk Island Car Park has been removed.   
 
Local resident Nick Davies has planted a 3-acre wood on his own land, and would like to make a financial contribution of £500 to LCC to assist the regeneration of Twyn y Cryn woodland.  JW explained that a tree survey has highlighted a need at Jenny’s Bushes. Mr Davies confirmed that he would be very happy for the money to be used in other local areas such as Jenny’s Bushes. The clerk received a cheque for £500 payable to Llanbadoc Community Council.   ACTION: Clerk email thank you Done 13/04   
 
The council has been notified of a traffic incident where a lorry got stuck at Cwm Soar Pitch, Glascoed Lane, due to over-hanging trees.  John Williams is believed to be the land owner. ACTION: Contact MCC Done 13/04   

6.      Adoption of minutes – Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 1st March 2017 – All in favour ACTION: JC post on website   

7.      Clerks Report – Please see full correspondence list.   
·         External audit 
·         Tour de Gwent (highways) 
  
8.      Planning   8.1 MCC Planning Committee Meeting   

8.2 Report from the LCC Planning sub group   PLANNING SUB GROUP NOTES MADE AT THEIR MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 3rd APRIL 2017 at County Hall.   
THOSE PRESENT: Cllr M. Reardon, Cllr J. Carpenter, Cllr H. Jones, Cllr J. Wright   
 
APPLICATION – DC/2017/00171 Phase 2 Learning Centre, Coleg Gwent -Usk   
1.We note that whilst the proposed development lies within the current campus boundaries nevertheless it lies outside the Usk development boundary with part of the proposed development (a new car park) in green field open countryside. 
2. The proposed use (teaching classrooms etc.) is obviously within the existing education complex and as such would appear to be a suitable and acceptable usage of the site. 
3. There are however some material considerations: - 
a) There will be a loss of car parking spaces to accommodate the new building and these are to be replaced by more or less the same number of new spaces on the green field part of the proposed development site. This new car park will be clearly visible to the nearby residential development at Prioress Mill Lane and we note that several trees (that would act as screening) are to be removed to accommodate part of the development. We suggest that additional planting/tree screening be provided to ensure adequate new screening for the residents. 
b) As this proposed cark park is on green field we recommend that safeguards are attached to any approval to prevent future building development on this land. 
c)There is also a concern about new car park lighting causing light pollution to the Prioress Mill Lane residents. We note that a lighting strategy has been prepared by Hoare Lea but could not find this on the MCC web site. We suggest that this issue be considered and conditioned accordingly. 
d) We are aware of litter issues at the rear of the college and would recommend that this be considered and conditioned. 
 
SUBJECT TO POINTS 3 a), b), c) and d) ABOVE BEING CONDITIONED WE WOULD RECOMMEND APPROVAL OF THIS APPLICATIOIN. 
  
8.3 Planning Applications  
 
Application Number:  DC/2017/00171     Application Type: Planning Permission Description of Proposal: Construction of new learning centre and associated infrastructure including car parking and landscaping. Location: Coleg Gwent, Usk Campus, The Rhadyr, Usk.  NP15 1XJ   DC/2017/00171 – All in favour of application, and to submit comments highlighting conditions proposed by planning sub-group –  ACTION: Clerk Done 13/04   
 
Cllr. Laura Jones left the meeting at this point   
 
Application Number:  DC/2016/01079     Application Type: Planning Permission Description of Proposal: Proposed temporary storage of plant and siting of 2no. steel containers on a permanent basis. (Renewal of application DC/2014/00569). Location: Nightingale Grove, Llan Lane, Penperlleni, Goytre, NP15 1QD   JC visited the site, 7 in favour for approval ACTION: Clerk Done 13/04   

Temporary Closure of Footpaths 55 & 56 Llanbadoc. Prioress Mill Lane.   Proposed response to email received from Shaun Prichard about the diversion of an existing footpath (the Usk Valley walk) around the site of the proposed Pumping Station development at Prioress mill Lane.   The proposed diversion comes into effect on. May 10th, 2017 and is necessary for the construction of this pumping station. The diversion is close to the proposed site entrance and we have concerns about vehicle/pedestrian conflict. In addition, there will then be a greater number of people on Prioress Mill Lane (which has no footpaths) and increase vehicular movements during the construction period (2 years). The diversion must be re-considered and renewed periodically and we recommend that our council be a consultee at each renewal consideration such that we can monitor the situation and advise accordingly.   All in favour to submit response from LCC ACTION: Clerk Done 13/04   

8.4 MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential)   

9. Finance 
·         Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting 
·         Responsible Finance Officer Report, including review of the accounts and spending against budget 
·         Passbook balance £15,030.96 confirmed and signed by the chair 
·         £35.20 Clerks Expenses proposed by JW and seconded by JS 
·         £50.00 Deposit for band, booked for barn dance on 22nd July – Reimburse Cllr. John Wright Proposed by JC and seconded by JL 
·         £222.00 Chairman’s Honorarium, invoice provided – Proposed by JW and Seconded by JC 
·         £6.78 Merlin Waste – 2 collections in March – Proposed by JC and Seconded by JS 
·         £101.00 Annual membership to One Voice Wales – Proposed by SW and seconded by JS 
·         £547.20 Annual Grounds Maintenance Contract with MCC 2016/2017 ACTION: Clerk DEFER to next meeting 
·         £1495.47 MCC invoice 2016/2017 ACTION: Clerk DEFER to next meeting 
·         JW Invoice for concrete – ACTION: Clerk DEFER to next meeting                  

10. Reports   

(Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial (Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter)   
·         Meeting held on Wednesday 22nd March 2017 
·         Internal audit review completed and no outstanding issues 
·         Remuneration – It was agreed that £150 should be budgeted for councillor expenses, in addition to the chairs expenses 
·         Clerks contract and job description still under review. Sub-committee were pleased to hear that in line with other employees of MCC. A cost of living increase would be received. Only confirmation by telephone.   

(Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence)   
·         Signs on Usk Bridge – HJ, officially thanked JC, for cleaning up signs, and collecting rubbish in triangular area. 
·         Western Power tree surgery on commons for high voltage power lines, cut down and compostable piles – JW 
·         Twyn y Cryn safety work have been accepted 
·         Lower Common accepted quotation 
·         Ownership commons ongoing 
·         Footpath volunteers – MR inputting data 
·         A member of the public has contacted the clerk to say there are no Walk no. 7 leaflets at Llandegfedd Reservoir.  JW will pursue with Welsh water 
·         OVW awards – Chase up ACTION: Clerk Done email sent on 13/04 
·         Risk Assessments MCC – Morag Sinton 
·         Sign for information hub – HJ to pursue 
·         Dog waste on Wern lane – Signs now up about dog waste 
·         Motor bikes in Monkswood – SW reported on, replace a stile that had disappeared. Operational allows residents at Woodlands to close the gates to solve the problem 
·         Path care group have been pot holes at Llandegfedd Car park 
·         Request for land for hut and bee hives – Shaun Prichard to be introduced to Nick Davies   

(Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Mark Reardon, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter and Cllr. James Lawrence)   Meeting on Monday 10th April   

(Sub-Group) Community Event Booked Saturday 22nd July, Family Ceilidh band booked and deposit paid – JW   

MCC Cluster Meeting (Usk) – Tuesday, 14th March 2017 at 6pm, Conference Room, County Hall, Usk. – Attended by JC. Mark Hand Head of Planning, training opportunities, minutes to follow. Talked about enforcement and how this is dealt with.  Andy Smith, Strategic investment and funding manager. Will find resources.  Llanbadoc Island Car Park? Michael Powell, Rural Programmes Manager – Rural broadband     

One Voice Wales Meeting – Next meeting 6th April 2017, 7pm in the library, Sessions House in Usk. JS sent apologies.  

HMPS Prison Liaison Meeting – HJ unable to attend                                                          

11.  Matters Arising 
·         Static caravan at The Stables, Glascoed common ACTION: Clerk contact MCC Done 13/04 
·         Candidates for election – Duly elected MCC expenses in pack AGENDA for May - ACTION: Clerk   

12.  Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman) 
·         Usk island trees cut down and left – ACTION: JC to investigate 
·         The Beaufort – Clerk to write to the owner, JC to forward draft. ACTION: Clerk Ongoing   

13.  Date of next meetings – Wednesday 10th May 2017, AGM 6pm, followed by ordinary meeting and Wednesday 7th June 2017                                                                                                          
There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.20
   
Yours faithfully,  
DRAFT minutes    
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk
Back to top Print View