Minutes 2017-06-07 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Sat Jul 22 2017, 01:14PM
by Olivia Beaumont

 
LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL
 
 
 
Clerk: Olivia Beaumont, The Glade, Trostrey, Usk NP15 1JH. Tel. 01291 673515 email. email
 
 
Minutes of Meeting of Llanbadoc Community Council held on Wednesday 7th June 2017 at 6.30pm 
 
Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. John Wright (JW), Cllr. Jenny Carpenter (JC), Cllr. Peter Sutherland (PS), Cllr. Mark Reardon (MR), Cllr. Peter Clarke (PC), Cllr. Steve Waring (SW) 
 
Members of the public: County Councillor Val Smith
 
Did not attend: Cllr. James Laurence (JL)
 
1. Apologies for absence: Cllr. Jo Storey (JS) 
 
2. Declarations of interest:  Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Committee of Monmouthshire County Council. 
 
3. Police Report: May report not received 
 
4. Report from County Councillor Val Smith: 
 
• Attended informal hearing on traveller site at Llancayo
• The Glascoed Pub planning application approved, 28 days permitted rights to camp.
• Concerns with location of MCC advertisement signage, close to access to college sites, could distract from attention to pedestrians and traffic.
• Remain nominated to South Wales Fire Authority
 
5. Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak
 
None present
 
6. Adoption of minutes 
 
a. Wednesday 10th May 2017 – All in favour to approve – ACTION: JC to publish 
b. 2017 AGM 2017 – All in favour to approve ACTION: JC to publish
 
7. Matters arising from recent correspondence
 
a. Damage to Barrier at Usk Island Car Park – PS reported that that barrier was vandalised on the evening of 25th May when a car was locked in, MCC and PC1233 Peter Evans were informed by the clerk on 26th May.  PS informed council members that the barrier is still functional, MCC is pursuing tender for the burger van with a key holder position, 3 bids received to date. PS confirmed he will continue to lock gates until the position is appointed. 
b. Code of Conduct Training – JC attended the training by Robert Tranter of MCC, and provided a brief overview to council members, One Voice Wales provide training on this topic and the chair encouraged council members to attend.  Declarations of Interest are still outstanding for some council members and the clerk reminded members to return these as soon as possible.  ACTION:  Website Group Declaration of Interests to be published on LCC website.  
 
8. Planning
 
8.1 MCC Planning Committee Meeting 
 
Tuesday, 6th June 2017, 2.00 pm
 
Included local application: DC/2017/00401
REMOVE, DISPOSE AND REPLACE PRE-EXISTING TIMBER STRUCTURE ON A LIKE FOR LIKE BASIS. CHANGE OF USE TO LAND OUTLINED IN GREEN MARKED ON PLANS. LAND PREVIOUSLY USED FOR BOWLING GREEN TO CAMPING ONLY.
THE GLASCOED PUB, MONKSWOOD
RECOMMENDATION: APPROVE   Case Officer: Alison Pankhurst
 
However, due to circumstances beyond the applicant’s control, he requested that the camping element be withdrawn from this application. On this basis, the application only dealt with the retention of the shed on the site and was approved
 
8.2 Report from the LCC Planning sub group
 
Notes from Planning Group meeting held on Monday 5th June – Appendix 1
 
8.3 Planning Applications 
 
Application Number: DC/2017/00444
Application Type: Planning Permission
Description of Proposal: Proposed conversion of redundant agricultural barns to 2 No. dwellings.
Location: New House Farm, Little Mill Usk NP4 OUD
 
Vote: For: 6, Against: 0, Abstain: 1   Recommendation: Approval ACTION: Clerk Done 08/06/2017
 
8.4 MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential) 
 
Please refer to MCC enforcement list sent on 10th May 2017.
 
9. Finance 
• Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting – no queries
• Responsible Finance Officer Report, including review of the accounts and spending against budget 
• Passbook balance £17,476.94 confirmed and signed by the chair
• £40.20 Clerks Expenses Proposed by PC and seconded by SW
• £10.17 Merlin Waste (May collections) Proposed by JC and seconded by MR
• £36.00 Gwent Wildlife Trust Membership Proposed by SW and seconded by PC
• JW Proposed £200 for a hire of a mini digger, for plainings at Llanbadoc Island – all present in approval, list on agenda for payment at next meeting ACTION: Clerk
 
10. Reports
 
a. (Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial 
(Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
 
Notes from Procedural and Financial Group meeting held on Monday 27th May – Appendix 2
 
• Clerk contract signed by the chair and clerk – Each has a copy
• Bank Account – Vote to open a bank account with cheque book in addition to a Building Society account. Barclays and HSBC – ACTION: JC to collect information from both banks before the next meeting
• Proposed changes in the Remuneration of members of Town and Community Councils – Presentation by JW – The determinations affecting community and town councils fall into 6 categories:
1. To ensure at least some expenses in involved in representing the community can be met – up to £150 pa – Approved by all members of LCC present
2. To allow for travel and subsistence expenses to be paid for approved duties – Approved by all members of LCC present
3. To ensure costs of holding civic office are catered for – Approved by all members of LCC present
4. To allow for senior / demanding roles to be recognised – up to 3 posts at £500 – not approved by members of LCC
5. To permit compensation for financial loss to be paid – Approved by all members of LCC present
6. To permit the payment of an allowance for the care of dependents to be met where necessary to all members to attend meetings – Not approved by members of LCC
 
• The above to be added to Standing Orders / Financial Control document, these maybe reviewed at any time ACTION: Clerk
• It was agreed by all present that the chair should claim up to £25 per month expenses, as agreed in the budget. 
• Investigating grant applications to cover the cost of tarmacking Llanbadoc Island and a new website ACTION: Procedural and Financial Group 
• Look at internal control and add the quarterly meetings with clerk and add that the clerks contract has been reviewed and will be on an annual basis. 
• Finance report on website is currently outstanding due to problems with publishing certain types of documents on the website. Deferred
• Equal Opportunities Policy – The chair has contacted OVW and is awaiting information from Paul Egan at OVW.  Deferred
 
b. (Sub-Group) Environment 
(Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
Notes from Environment Group meeting held on Monday 27th May – Appendix 2
 
For insurance purposes, the Pathcare volunteers are currently Mervin France, Peter Baldwin, Richard Laking and Judith Lloyd ACTION: Clerk to add as agenda item for AGM
 
• SW reported that work at Lower common, Twyn y Cryn is starting next week  
• SW has inspected the fallen tree at Monkswood as reported by a member of the public – SW confirmed that a local resident may be able to remove it, ACTION: SW to investigate and report back. 
 
a. Usk Park Equipment – Jonathan Wassel (MCC) will arrange for someone to visit the site, see what works / materials are required and email HJ a quotation. ONGOING
b. Cefn Ila Circular Walk Leaflet – MR reported that The Woodland Trust walk that starts at Rural Life Museum, now has a printed leaflet, and brought draft copies to the meeting. 
c. The location of a Dog Poo bin at Monkswood was approved by all council members – LCC would need to pay 50% of the cost, 10,000 red dog poo bags also on order. ACTION: Clerk  
d. JW reported that the BBC TV series ‘Weatherman Walking’ is interested in covering a local LCC walk
e. PS commented on speeding in Usk – Any further development, clerk to contact Roger Hoggins ACTION: Clerk
f. PS commented that the ‘container park’ in Woodside now has a marquee up, contact enforcement for an update ACTION: Clerk
g. PS commented on ‘Himalayan balsam’ and the amount of it around the banks of the River Usk, particularly around Usk Island. The clerk informed council members that it is not a notifiable weed and therefore MCC would be unlikely to act. For general information - ‘to avoid additional spread do not disturb plants if seeds pods are visible (usually sometime after May).  Programmes should be undertaken in April or early May. If hand pulling after this time, bag plant tops to prevent seed spread. Himalayan balsam can be controlled by spraying the foliage with glyphosate’
h. PS commented that residents had asked if the 6 benches and tables located on Usk Island and owned by MCC could be moved as causing noise problems for residents of property ‘River View’ Could they be moved further down? The chair advised that the resident contact MCC directly.
 
c. (Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter and Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
Notes from Website Group meeting held on Monday 5th June – Appendix 3
 
a. Invitation to join Llanbadoc Residents google group, Council members suggested that a Link to the LCC social media policy be placed under the google group link – ACTION: JC 
 
d. (Sub-Group) Community Event 
 
• 22nd July 2017 at Glascoed Pub – all in favour to get tickets printed 
• £350 payable to band ACTION: JW and clerk to find out name of payee and agenda payment for the next LCC meeting
 
e. One Voice Wales Meeting – Thursday 13th July, 7pm Sessions House in Usk - noted
 
11. Matters Arising
 
12.  Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman)
 
No items
 
13.  Date of next full council meetings – Wednesday 5th July 2017 and Wednesday 2nd August 2017
 
Date for Website Group meeting Tuesday 10th July 3.30pm, ACTION: JC – Isobel Brown to be invited
Date for Procedural and Financial Monday 3rd July 6.00pm
Date for Environment - none
Date for Planning Tuesday 4rd July 3.30 - Consider MCC LDP consultation on draft supplementary planning guidance, document available 1st June to 13th July – Responses must be received by 5pm Thursday 13th July 2017
 
Yours faithfully, 
 
 
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.20pm
 
Appendix 1
 
NOTES MADE AT PLANNING GROUP MEETING HELD AT MCC OFFICES on Monday June 5th, 2017
THOSE PRESENT: - Jenny Carpenter, Hilary Jones. Jones and Cllr J. Wright
1. Application number DC/2017/00444 - New House Farm, Proposed conversion of redundant barns to 2 number dwellings.
It was noted that this would be a material change of use with the Design and Access Statement advising that the structures are redundant because of changes to farming practices. We are aware however that the applicant’s brother owns the land around the application site and query whether he might have some use for the buildings.
We noted that there would be an 800m drive but there were no objections from the highway authority.
The existing appearance of the buildings is to be maintained and the original character retained and the design appears to comply with the County Council Local Development Plan.
We note that the proposed method of discharge of foul water drainage is proposed to be to a new sewage treatment plant which presumably would discharge to ground. However, we understand that the adjoining property draws potable water from a borehole close to the proposed development and trust that Natural Resources Wales ensures that there would be no conflict accordingly.
 
RECOMMENDATION: - We recommend approval subject to the points noted above
 
Appendix 2
 
Notes made at Finance and Procedural Sub-group meeting held on ….
 
Present:  Jenny Carpenter, Jo Storey, Hilary Jones
 
Clerks Contract 
 
HJ went through the contract with the clerk.  This was then looked at by the group and it was agreed that the contract would be drawn up by HJ.  This is then to be signed by the Chair and Clerk.  The contract will be looked at annually with the chair and clerk.
 
Bank Account
 
This was discussed and several possibilities put forward:
 
  Change to a Bank Account
  Have a working amount in a bank and the rest kept with Monmouthshire Building Society
  Keep arrangements as they are but have a petty cash with a limit of £100.
 
It was felt that this should go to full council for a vote and for it to be included in council minutes. 
 
If arrangements to stay the same, the chair to have a couple of withdrawal slips, so that if the clerk were unable to attend the meeting, slips could still be completed.
 
Payment to Councillors
 
John has raised remuneration for councillors following a workshop organised by the Independent
Remuneration Panel for Wales (IRPW).
 
The IRPW, in bringing out these proposals, feel that no councillor should be out of pocket because of their work as a councillor (and so be able to claim the various expenses listed). They are trying to make the numbers of councillors more democratic and perhaps younger by enabling these remunerations.
 
It will need to be decided by formal resolution which if any of the recommendations we choose to adopt and implemented in the 2017-2018 municipal year.  To be added to the next agenda.  H J to action.  DONE.
 
Review effectiveness of Internal Control
 
The form devised by HJ for internal control has been accepted by full council and now we feel no need to make any alterations to it.
The finance and procedural group are to meet with the clerk once a quarter to make sure that there are no problems on either side.  Action Clerk and FAP committee
 
Insurance Cover Review
 
During a full council meeting we are to mention and minute volunteers who help the community council (path care and surveying).  Any new volunteers would have to be mentioned and be recorded in the minutes as they join.   Each volunteer will be given a full risk assessment form to look at and sign once a year (as required by the insurance company) then at each path care session, a risk assessment will be drawn up pertinent to that job and the volunteers will sign the sheet.  These risk assessments are to be kept by Hilary in a specific file linked to the environment group.  Action HJ
 
Standing Orders, Internal Control and Financial Regulations
 
We need to look at internal control and add the quarterly meetings with clerk and add that the clerks contract has been reviewed and will be on an annual basis.
 
Naming of groups/committees 
 
The group recommended that we will call the environment, financial and procedural etc sub-committees.
 
Finance Report on Website
 
Although now the excel spreadsheet cannot be uploaded, this will be investigated by the web sub-committee.
 
Grant Application
 
Jenny informed us that there is an employee at Monmouthshire County Council whose job it is to source grants for various topics.   To ask full council whether they think if it is worth approaching the employee re a grant for tarmacking Llanbadoc Island Car Park, Ask Olivia to add to agenda – Action HJ DONE.
 
Equal Opportunity Policy
 
Llanbadoc Community Council should have an Equal Opportunity Policy – we do not.  HJ to look at the Model policy from OVW.  Action HJ
 
Website
 
The clerk and JC have provided information re: Isobel Brown who lives in Usk and is an Usk Town Councillor.  She would design a new website from £250 - £350 (more developed for £350) Her website would be able to upload word documents with a simple click.  Her annual bill is the same as we are currently paying.  Action refer JC to refer to website
 
Appendix 3  
 
Notes of Website meeting 4.36pm Monday 5th June 2017
 
Present: - Steve Waring, Cllr John Wright and Cllr Jenny Carpenter Apologies received from Mark Reardon 
Guest appearance: -  Cllr Hilary Jones who will write to Andy Smith regarding Grants for Website and Tarmac of Llanbadoc Island car park.
 
1. Facebook administrators are Olivia Beaumont. Hilary Jones, Jenny Carpenter and Johan Klos.
2. The Model form of Social Media policy received from One Voice Wales has been reviewed and agreed. Action JC It will now form part of our Standing Orders.
3. Send copy to Johan of our Social Media Policy although it was agreed that there is no reason for Johan to remain an Admin on our Facebook page. Action JC.
4. Mark Reardon has been added as a Web site administrator.
5. Advise Andrew Dale that we do not think he can afford us the required service for a new website as he is based in Newcastle. Action JW
6. Clerks report noted within the Minutes.  Has been replaced with “Matters arising from recent correspondence”
7. Finance report noted within the Minutes.  As we are unable to upload Excel Spreadsheets at present this was deferred to the next Web group meeting for further discussion.
8. It was agreed that notes from group meetings do form part of the Monthly Council Meeting and as such should be included with the Minutes.  In this regard, we should all be mindful when group meeting notes are made.  
9.
a. Peter Sutherland to provide photo and short paragraph/personal statement for website. Action PS send to SW
b. Full council photo to be updated – we will go ahead with this and update again when all Councillors are available. Action JW
c. Add new bluebells photo to memory stick and share with MR and JC. Action JW
d. Vice Chair and Ward details updated
e. Various amendments to text within Website updated.
 
10. Full Policies when reviewed will be included in the new Website.
11. Johan has started to create a new Website for us at his own cost and he has provided us with a test website to try out.  MR was to write to Johan to ascertain what would be the full facilities open to us, the ease of use and what the eventual costs would be.  We have now found a website developer, Isobel Brown, closer to home and we intend to ask her to come to our meeting to discuss what she is able to offer us in more detail. Action JC to be fair to Johan we need to write to him to ask him not to put time into the new Website until we have a clearer understanding of what we will require. Action JC
12. Further email with login details sent to Website members to try out the new test site.  Even if we do not go with the site Johan has offered it is probable that WordPress will be used for any new site so this exercise will still be useful. Action ALL Website members
13. Date and time of next meeting to be decided. (Possible follow on from Planning meeting on a regular basis say 4.30 as room is booked until 6.30.  Further short meeting could be held mid-month if necessary)
Back to top Print View