Minutes 2017-08-02 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Tue Aug 08 2017, 05:35PM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Fri Sep 08 2017, 11:01AM ]

 
 
LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
 
 
Minutes of meeting of Llanbadoc Community Council held at County Hall, Usk on Wednesday 2nd August 2017 6.30pm 
 
Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. John Wright (JW), Cllr. Mark Reardon (MR), Cllr. Jenny Carpenter (JC), Cllr, Jo Storey (JS), Cllr. Peter Clarke (PC), Cllr. James Lawrence (JL) and Cllr. Peter Sutherland (PS)
 
Members of the public: PCSO 83 Steve Cowles and 2 members of the public 
 
Invited Guests – PSCO 83 Steve Cowles 
 
1. Apologies for absence: Cllr. Steve Waring and County Councillor Val Smith
 
2. Declarations of interest from members:  Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Committee of Monmouthshire County Council. 
 
3. Police Report 
a. Invitation to PC1233 Peter Evans to attend this meeting, taken up by PSCO 83 Steve Cowles as PC Evans unavailable. 
 Read through the police report. 35 recorded incidents, spate of theft of quads and tools, shed break in’s. 
b. Local police report for July 2017 – circulated by email to full council on 1st August
c. Police at Usk Hub on 2nd August – Cllr. Peter Sutherland attended to report anti-social behaviour at the Usk Island. PCSO Steve Cowles reiterated the Police perspective regarding Usk Island. The police do not see as a problem as only 1 logged call all year, any incidents need to be recorded so that it can be identified as an area that needs monitoring. A call at the time of the incident ensures a police response is available to support PCSO’s attending.  Members of the public encouraged to call 101 to report any incidents in the area.  Dog Handlers to be approached to request their support in exercising their dogs in the area.
 
PCSO Steve Cowles confirmed there would be a police presence at the next Llanbadoc Community Council meeting on Wednesday 6th September to review the situation. ONGOING AGENDA item
 
4. Report from County Councillor Val Smith – Apologies provided in advance of meeting and provided notes to the chair. 
 
• White paper on services fit for the future, particularly relevant to Community Health Councils, CHC has low public profile but very necessary as a ‘voice of the patient’ Copy provided to the clerk, available to all council members. 
• Opportunity for Welsh Government to review Health, Social Services, Patient representation standards – Responses by send of September
• Proposal by MCC to establish an “alternative delivery model” for leisure - events, outdoor education, countryside, tourism, youth, Shire Hall, Tintern Old Station, Caldicot Castle, Museums to External Bodies with charitable status, eligible for grants, tax refunds etc.  Full presentation available on MCC website.
 
5. Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak (time for this session is at the discretion of the chair)
 
Member of the public advised they were representing several Woodside residents, to raise awareness of anti-social behaviour on Usk Island.  They accepted the comments from PCSO Steve Cowles, however his experience is that the phone number 101 is slow to answer and ineffective. Picnic tables at the back of their property are attracting youths and anti-social behaviour, drinking and smoking. Request for a police presence to deter activities. Council members asked member of the public to contact the police to make officially recorded complaints.  PCSO Steve Cowles confirmed that if no answer to 101, to phone 999.  
 
Member of the public also raised his concerns over the location of the benches in the park, installed and owned by MCC and suggested they be relocated to a more open space which could alleviate the problem as they would then be more exposed. The chair proposed a letter to support this proposal from LCC to MCC, all council in favour. ACTION: Clerk Done 03/08 emailed Andrew Mason, Anti-social Behaviour co-ordinator for MCC 
 
6. Adoption of Minutes – The Chair presented the minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 5th July 2017 to council members. Minutes proposed by PC and seconded by JC with no amendments ACTION: Clerk remove as ‘draft’ on website. Done 08/08
 
7. Matters Arising from the Minutes / Current Business
a. Anti-social behaviour – Usk Island – PS – covered above. ONGOING
b. Inconsiderate parking – Usk Island area – PS – Covered at meeting with police ONGOING
c. Coleg Gwent Campus Study - MR reported that he had contacted Martin Price on 25th July, awaiting reply ONGOING
d. Container Park, Woodside -(correspondence from Paula Clarke, MCC received 19/07) – PS reported that the Portacabin has now been removed, correspondence on going with MCC enforcement and planning departments.  PC confirmed no preservation order on buildings on site.  ONGOING
e. LCC Walk 5 in Glascoed – ACTION: Pathcare Group 
f. MCC Grounds Maintenance Contract 2017/2018 – (correspondence from Jon Wassel, MCC 11/07) – Commons still not cut, ACTION: Clerk to pursue.  PC reported the state of the ground opposite Woodside Garage.  Suggested to contact garage owner to request support as a local business owner.  Garage owned by Richard Etheridge – ACTION: JC to find contact details, done. Clerk wrote to on 03/08 posted - ONGOING  
g. Speeding through Llanbadoc – PC – The traffic problems occurs with traffic coming over Usk Bridge towards Pontypool in the evenings and night time. ACTION: PC to investigate cost of speed camera - ONGOING
h. Give Dog Fouling the Red Card – ordered bin and bags (correspondence from Sue Parkinson, MCC 20/07) - ONGOING
i. Members Interests outstanding for SW, JS and JL, clerk emailed on 21/07 – All received 02/08 – ONGONG to be published on new website when live.
j. Damage to BAE Noticeboard- ACTION: Environment Group (carried fwd., from minutes 10/05/17) to measure up ONGOING
k. Damage to Llanbadoc Island Picnic table – BBQ melted on picnic table and caused damage, ACTION: Environment Group ONGOING 
l. Safety at Glascoed Crossroads – JC to report, white lines now painted, still awaiting improvement to signage as still concealed by hedge ACTION: Environment Group, ONGOING
m. Damage to bin outside The Beeches in Llanbadoc and new bin in Glascoed collection information (correspondence from Victoria Camp, MCC on 21/07 and Jon Wassal, MCC on 24/07 – Bin repaired in Llanbadoc and collections twice a week in Glascoed - DISCHARGED
n. LCC Standing Orders and Financial Control documents updated as agreed in minutes 7/6/17 – ONGONG to be published on new website when live.
o. Felled tree at Usk Island – Requested removal – Clerk contacted MCC. JC confirmed that Natural Resources Wales working on Usk Island and will have a look to see what they can do. Email sent by clerk to email on 03/08 ONGOING   
 
8. Matters arising from recent correspondence / New Business
a. BDO Conclusion of audit on behalf of Auditor General for Wales to be approved and by council – ACTION: JC, HJ and JS to display notice of conclusion of audit for 14 days before 30th September 2017. – Displayed on Website and notices provided for all 3 Council noticeboards at Glascoed (JC), Llanbadoc (HJ) and Monkswood (JS) Agenda to confirm and remove after 14 days
b. Invitation to Cefn Ila Open Day – Sunday 3 September 10am – 3pm MR to attend
 
9. Planning
 
a. MCC Planning Committee Meeting – Tuesday 1st August 2pm
 
PC reported that Item 4d DC/2017/00035, CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW VEHICULAR ACCESS FROM THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY INTO PART OF THE WOODSIDE TRADING ESTATE, WOODSIDE TRADING AND INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, WOODSIDE, LLANBADOC, USK, NP15 1SS was APPROVED and 15 parking spaces offered by applicant 
 
b. Report from the LCC Planning sub group – no requirement to meet, JW raised the New Development Management Services Fast Track Service agenda for next planning sub group meeting
c. Planning Applications – none received at time agenda was published
d. MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential)
i. JC received an anonymous call from a member of the public reporting a case that was on the May MCC enforcement List, MCC investigating ONGOING
 
10. Finance 
a. Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting and all agreed payments from the last meeting made 
b. Responsible Finance Officer Report, including review of the accounts and spending against budget 
c. Passbook balance £14,890.31 confirmed and signed by the chair
d. Receipts received 
i. £141.04 Western Power Distribution, Wayleave Payment Ref. 6505859 banked 03/08
ii. £50 Reimbursement of Ceilidh Deposit banked 03/08
 
e. Payments 
i. Individual Councillor remuneration requests - None
ii. £75.00 Chair’s allowance (£25 - May 2017, £25 - June 2017 and £25 - July 2017)
iii. £46.70 Clerk’s expenses invoice for July 2017
iv. £6.78 Merlin Waste – July collections invoice
v. £1,510.66 MCC – Clerk salary and admin costs invoice for April to June 2017 
vi. £200 hire of Digger – JW (approved at meeting held on 7/6/2017) ONGOING – AGENDA item
vii. £179.55 External Audit of Accounts 2016/2017 – payable to ‘Wales Audit Office’
 
Items ii, iii, iv, v and vii Proposed by PC and seconded by PS ACTION: Clerk Done posted 03/08
11. Reports
 
a. (Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial (Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
 
Actions from meeting held on 17th July 
i. Equality and Diversity Policy for Adoption (circulated by HJ to full council on 18th July 2017) – Adopted by full council ONGONG to be published on new website when live.
ii. Internal Auditor, John Turner to sign internal audit comments – OB emailed JT on 21/07 – received by HJ - DISCHARGED
iii. Usk Park Play equipment offered by Park Project -HJ emailed The Park Project on 19/07 to say thank for offer but cost prohibitive DISCHARGED
iv. List all actions from previous meeting on ‘Matters arising from the minutes’ on the next agenda – ACTIONED
v. Bank Account investigated by JC – to review in September, AGENDA item ONGOING
vi. LCC payment of invoices to be made same week as meeting – ACTIONED 
vii. Payments agreed in budget to remain ongoing agenda items e.g. clerk’s expenses, chair’s expenses, Merlin waste, also list approved quotations & spending (list as awaiting payment) – ACTIONED
viii. Draft Agenda to be circulated Monday week prior to meeting for any amendments to be noted, final agenda to be circulated and published 3 clear days prior to meeting (Thursday) – ACTIONED
ix. Draft Minutes to be circulated on the Friday following a meeting for any amendments to be noted, to be published on the Wednesday following the meeting - ACTIONED
x. Cheque payments to be posted week of meeting to ensure prompt payment - ACTIONED
xi. Emails if appropriate to have headings ‘Response Required’ or ‘Action required before’ – ACTIONED
xii. Actions from Sub group meetings to be sent to clerk for publication on meeting agenda – Sub Groups
xiii. Pursue MCC playground safety checks and insurance – ACTION: Clerk Emailed Rachel Keeble and Alison Jones on 03/08 ONGOING 
xiv. Risk Assessment to be carried out annually – example document circulated to JC and HJ – AGENDA Item for action ONGOING
xv. Review of Internal Audit Procedure – example document circulated to JC and HJ – AGENDA Item for action ONGOING
xvi. Councillors remuneration to be listed on agenda under finances at every meeting – ACTIONED
xvii. Declaration of interest forms – any outstanding and for publication on website – ACTION: Clerk
xviii. Google Group – Agenda item – HJ ONGOING
xix. Notice of conclusion of audit to be published on LCC website – ACTIONED 
xx. MCC Grant assistance for LCC website and tarmacking Llanbadoc Island – HJ ONGOING
 
b. (Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
i. Pathcare team volunteer form – JW – ONGOING 
ii. Monkswood Path 362/32/2 – SW - ONGOING
 
c. (Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Mark Reardon and Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
Actions from meeting held on Monday 10th July 2017 attended by JC, JW, MR, SW, guests: LCC Clerk and Isobel Brown 
 
i. Financial report document.  Still unable to upload in current excel format.  We will need to consider further options. ONGOING
ii. Full Council photo outstanding ONGOING
iii. Isobel Brown was approached to discuss website design possibilities - Costs are £350 to design and build the site, with a £20 per month hosting fee, discounted to £15 pm for the first year (which would be charged from September as soon as she started work). Any alterations after the initial build would be charged at £20 per hour (a new page would take 3-4 hours) as would any training. Her terms are £150 on presenting a draft outline (November) with the balance upon completion. (January).  The chair asked for full Council approval for Isobel Brown to create a new website for LCC.  JW proposed and JS seconded, all in favour ACTION: Clerk Write to Isobel to confirm. Done 08/08 Monthly payment of £15 per month – contact Isobel re payment methods ACTION: Clerk Done 08/08
iv. Chase up possibility of Grant funding ONGOING
 
d. Community Event: Community Ceilidh held on 22nd July 2017 – update including financial report
i. £50 Donation to Multiple Sclerosis Society (profit from LCC Community Event) – ACTION; Clerk posted with a covering letter on 03/08
 
Summary - A great attendance, however could improve advertising and encourage more locals to attend.  Date should be perhaps mid-September not in the summer holidays when many people are away. Reduced ticket price for advance purchase. 
 
e. One Voice Wales Meeting: Thursday 13th July, 7pm Sessions House in Usk – JS attended, Western Power ‘Power up’ Energy advice. 
 
12.  Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman)
i. PS - Himalayan Balsam
ii. JW - Invited to pitch for Monmouthshire Housing Funding – Environment Group to discuss
iv. JW - Book called ‘Rights of Way – Restoring the Record’ by Phil Wadey and Sarah Bucks, reference book identifying routes £27.00 Inc. post and packing for Open Spaces Society members AGENDA item to propose purchase
 
 
13.  Date of next meetings – Wednesday 6th September 2017 and Wednesday 4th October
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.18
 
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk (Proper Officer) / RFO, Llanbadoc Community Council
 
Procedural & Finance meeting, Environment meeting and Website meeting: Dates TBC 
Back to top Print View