Minutes 2017-09-06 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Wed Sep 20 2017, 09:46AM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Wed Oct 11 2017, 04:09PM ]

 
LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
 
 
Minutes of meeting of Llanbadoc Community Council held at County Hall, Usk on Wednesday 6th September 2017 
 
Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. Jo Storey (JS), Cllr. John Wright (JW), Cllr. James Lawrence (JL), Cllr. Peter Clarke (PC), Cllr. Jenny Carpenter (JC), Cllr. Peter Sutherland (PS)
 
Members of the public: Cllr. Val Smith (VS)
 
1. Apologies for absence: Cllr. Steve Waring (SW) and Cllr. Mark Reardon (MR)
 
2. Declarations of interest from members:  Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a personal and prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Committee of Monmouthshire County Council. 
 
3. Police Report – No police attendance
a. Local police report for August 2017, received and circulated by email on 5th September. 
b. ‘Working Together for Safer Communities’ Welsh Government’s response approach to the future of community safety in Wales, supported by Gwent Police and Crime Commissioner SEPTEMBER 27TH 12.00pm- 3.30pm, Rodney Parade – The chair asked members to inform the clerk if they would like to attend.
 
4. Report from County Councillor Val Smith 
 
Cllr. Val Smith informed council members that she would continue to attend Llanbadoc Community Council meetings, but to save time at meetings, would not provide a report, and to remove this item from the agenda for future meetings. 
 
5. Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak No members of the public present
 
6. Adoption of Minutes – The chair presented the minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 2nd August 2017 to council members for approval. The chair removed the name of a member of the public referred to in the minutes to protect their identity as raised by JW. Minutes were then approved by all present. ACTION: Clerk to amend and publish on LCC Website Done 08/09  
 
7. Matters Arising from the Minutes / Current Business
a. Anti-social behaviour at Usk Island - no incidents since the last meeting and no calls to the police made – DISCHARGED
b. Relocation of Picnic Benches at Usk Island, costings received – Andrew Mason, ASB and CCTV co-ordinator for MCC has received several offers to share the cost. ONGOING PS has updated the member of the public who raised this issue  
c. Inconsiderate parking Usk Island area – due to poor weather, no further problems - DISCHARGED 
d. Coleg Gwent Campus Study – MR not present to provide an update – DEFERRED 
e. Container Park in Woodside, email received from Paula Clarke, MCC confirmed it is an established industrial site, therefore does not appear to be a breach of planning control - DISCHARGED
f. MCC Grounds Maintenance Contract 2017/2018 – clerk emailed Jon Wassal, awaiting response - ONGOING The chair requested a further email to be sent stating that the Community Council were very unhappy with the failure to fulfil the contract and the issues this had then presented. Clarity of dates of cutting and cost to be requested Done 08/09  
g. Glascoed Commons grass cutting & Key holders – ONGOING – Jon Wassal at MCC has been informed that a MCC employee has cut the Glascoed commons apparently for personal reasons, council members very concerned that no communication was made to the council prior to this to gain permission and to cover a risk assessment/insurance liability, exposing the council to risk. Awaiting response from Jon Wassel. 
h. Ownership of the Common – JC requested information on Commoners Rights and who or what properties are entitled to these rights – The Clerk and JW has copies. Also, Tudor Baldwin, Land Charges Officer Monmouthshire County Council confirmed commons register (a manual ledger and plans) is held at Usk County Hall, which is open to public inspection and would encourage anyone to who wants to inspect it to make an appointment - DISCHARGED
i. Ground opposite Woodside garage - correspondence sent to Richard Etheridge 3rd August, no response received ACTION: Clerk to contact Natural Recourses Wales, following complaints from members of the public in that area. It was further noted on 07/09 that the grass had been cut, the chair confirmed no further requirement to contact NRW.  In addition to this following on from meeting with Tony Kear, Usk in Bloom, Request the clerk contact to ask what are the plans for the triangle of land at the bottom of Usk Bridge. Done 08/09  
j. Speeding through Llanbadoc – Speed camera costings – PC has met with Mr Roger Joy, MCC, pursuing permanent speed camera ONGOING
k. Give Dog Fouling the Red Card – awaiting delivery of bin and bags (correspondence from Sue Parkinson, MCC 20/07) – ACTION: Clerk to follow up Done email sent 08/09 ONGOING
l. Members Interests to be published on new website when live – ACTION: Clerk Move to Website sub-group headings
m. Damage to BAE Noticeboard – Environment Group to report – ACTION: Clerk Move to environment Group report
n. Damage to Llanbadoc Island Picnic table – Insurance claim reference 12170050131 - £100 Excess – ONGOING – Council approved ‘No BBQ’ Signs to go on picnic tables as ordered and received by HJ. ACTION: HJ
o. Safety at Glascoed Crossroads – Correspondence and photographs of sign sent to MCC Highways ONGOING – The chair thanked JC and her husband for cutting back foliage – ACTION: Clerk Move to Environment Group Heading
p. LCC Standing Orders and Financial Control documents – to be published on new website when live. ACTION: Clerk Move to Website sub-group headings
q. Felled tree at Usk Island – Clerk to contact MCC to request if they can be delivered to Usk Primary School as requested by Kay Peacock – ONGOING ACTION: Clerk email sent 08/09 
r. Ownership of Llanbadoc Island and Glascoed Common Play areas – Asset register and Insurance. Email received from Nigel Leaworthy stating the play areas are MCC assets. That wasn’t LCC’s understanding could MCC please clarify – ACTION: HJ Clerk sent information to HJ on 08/09 
s. Llanbadoc Island potholes and scalping’s ACTION: Clerk Move to Environment Group Heading
 
8. Matters arising from recent correspondence / New Business
a. Thank you letter from MS Society for £50 donation - Acknowledged
b. Usk and Woodside – email from Roger Hoggins following meeting with Ben Hamilton-Bailee – ACTION: Clerk Resend to Councillors Done 08/09
c. Relocation of field entrance on A472 in Monkswood – Mr John Jackson advised to contact MCC - DISCHARGED
d. Speed watch Monkswood – JS reported, speeds more than 62mph, on a blind pull out, PC suggested concentrating on Woodside Speed issues and then Monkswood - ONGOING
e. Usk Cluster Meeting – 13th September 2017 6.30pm County Hall – Acknowledged
f. OVW Meeting – 5th October 2017, 7.00pm Sessions House Library - Acknowledged
g. Cymraeg 2050 Grant Scheme – All councillors in agreement not necessary DISCHARGED
h. Himalayan Balsam – PS, raising on behalf of residents on Usk Island. ACTION: Clerk to write response that PS can circulate to resident Done 08/09 
 
9a. MCC Planning Committee Meeting – Tuesday 5th September 2pm
 
APPLICATION DC/2017/000027 - THE ERECTION OF A RAW WATER PUMPING STATION (RWPS), FISH SCREEN, TRANSFORMER STATION, SECURITY FENCING, LIGHTING, UNDERGROUND PIPEWORK, LANDSCAPING, BUILDING DEMOLITION, MODIFICATIONS TO EXISTING SITE ACCESS, ALONG WITH TEMPORARY COFFER DAM, CONSTRUCTION COMPOUND AND CONSTRUCTION ACCESS. PRIORESS MILL RWPS, PRIORESS MILL LANE, USK – Approved by MCC planning committee
 
• Llanbadoc Community Council members recognise this has been approved by MCC however would like to invite the applicant to meet with local Community Council to propose some ideas such as relocation of the extractor fans, to request that fans on the roof are directed in opposite direction, to reduce noise for residents, if accept let residents know and invite also. ACTION: Clerk Email sent 08/09
 
b. Report from the LCC Planning sub group
 
i. New Development Management Services Fast Track Service - DEFERRED
 
c. Planning Applications 
 
Application Number: DC/2017/00897
Application Type: Planning Permission
Description of Proposal: Re-construction of dam to restore Cefn Ila pool. 
Location: Cefn Ila Pool, Cefn Ila, Llanbadoc, Usk NP15 1PR
 
No planning group meeting, recommend approval – All council members in agreement ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09 
 
d. MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential)
i. Review of local ongoing cases – no new or closed cases on 
ii.    Correspondence received from Guy Delamere – ask to keep open ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09 
 
10. Finance 
a. Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting and all agreed payments from the last meeting made – no queries
b. Responsible Finance Officer Report, including review of the accounts and spending against budget  
c. Passbook balance £13,262.66 confirmed and signed by the chair
d. Receipts received - None 
e. Payments 
i. Individual Councillor remuneration requests – none
ii. £25.00 Chair’s allowance August 2017 – Proposed by JS and seconded PC ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09
iii. £45.22 Clerk’s expenses invoice August 2017 – Proposed by JW and seconded JC ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09
iv. Merlin Waste – August collections invoice outstanding
v. £35.00 ICO - Data Protection Registration Renewal 16/09/17 – Proposed by JC and seconded PS ACTION: Clerk Done 08/09
vi. £200 hire of Digger – JW (approved at meeting held on 7/6/2017) DEFERRED
vii. £15.00 Isobel Brown – Hosting fee monthly – pending invoice Sept 2017 DEFERRED
viii. £150 Isobel Brown – Draft Outline – pending invoice Nov 2017 DEFERRED
ix. £200 Isobel Brown – Completion – pending invoice Jan 2018 DEFERRED
x. Propose purchase of ‘Rights of Way – Restoring the record’ OSS publication £27.00 including postage – Purchased as a donation to LCC from the chair, book passed to JW. 
 
11. Reports
 
a. (Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial (Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
 
Outstanding actions from meeting held on 17th July 
i. Equality and Diversity Policy – To be published on new website when live ACTION: Clerk Move to Website sub-group actions on next agenda 
ii. Bank Account options to be reviewed – Sept Financial and Procedural meeting
iii. Risk Assessment to be carried out annually – example document circulated to JC and HJ – Financial and Procedural Action required 
iv. Review of Internal Audit Procedure – example document circulated to JC and HJ – Action required
v. Declaration of interest forms – To be published on new website when live. ACTION: Clerk Move to Website sub-group actions on next agenda 
vi. Google Group – Not to be continued – ACTION: Agenda for next meeting - Notify people who have signed up not continuing 
vii. MCC Grant assistance for LCC website and tarmacking Llanbadoc Island – ONGOING
 
b. (Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
i. BAE noticeboard.  It was agreed to purchase some pin board to replace the existing.  SW agreed to measure the noticeboard.  Action: SW to purchase pin board
ii. Llanbadoc Island Picnic Tables – One of the tables is badly disfigured where hot BBQs have been placed on the top.  Insurance claim in progress and HJ has purchased signs for the table tops which read ‘no hot BBQs to be placed on the table’. ONGOING
iii. Glascoed Crossroads – New stop lines have been painted at the crossroads which should help with the priority for traffic.  Foliage has been cut back 
iv. Pitch for Projects Application – it was agreed that it was unlikely that LCC would meet the required criteria so we will not be applying for this project. DISCHARGED 
v. Rights of Way Book order, received and handed to JW for LCC
vi. Walk 5 – Olivia rewritten text from leaflet and circulated to full council, PS to test walk 
vii. Other Walk Leaflets – to be looked at over the winter.
 
Walk 1 – has been written as the Cefn Ila walk 6
Walk 2 – Steve has re written this
Walk 3 – John to walk and rewrite this – Action JW 
Walk 4 – Steve has rewritten this
James offered to look at the maps for the leaflets using the OS – if successful he and Steve will collaborate so text and maps can be laid out for the walk leaflets.  Action JL, SW
Walk 8 – Deferred to next meeting.
 
viii. Risk Assessments.  JW & SW have drawn up risk assessments for the volunteers of the Pathcare team.  John has also received the Monmouthshire County Council risk assessments from Morag Sinton.  Passed to JL to show Clare Lawrence the paperwork as this is her professional job.   LCC to take advice from Clare Lawrence as to which are best for LCC to use to ensure covered by insurance. ACTION: JL. / Claire Lawrence 
ix. Future Pathcare Projects.  July and August dates have been difficult to arrange due to holidays and family commitments.  There are several jobs which are outstanding. SW to make a list and prioritise them.  There are more and more jobs being passed onto the Pathcare group.  ACTION: SW  
x. Woodside Traffic – An ongoing problem – it was agreed that PS is exploring all avenues and we would await further feedback from residents. PC pursuing speed camera
xi. Jenny’s Bushes – Bettina Broadway Mann has completed a tree survey on Jenny’s Bushes, SW & JW to walk the area and prioritise the work that needs doing. Action JW, SW.
 
c. (Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Mark Reardon and Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
Outstanding actions from meeting held on Monday 10th July 
i. Financial report document – To be published on new website when live DEFERRED
ii. Full Council photo DEFERRED 
iii. Updating Johan Klos DEFFERRED
 
iv. A further meeting of the website sub-group was held on 29/08 attended by JW and JC 
Initial requirements for the new website were agreed by full Council, voted all in favour. Website sub-group to deal with Isobel Brown directly, and cc. Clerk in all correspondence. 
 
12.  Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman)
 
i. PC - Keep pressure on tidying up of Llanbadoc around garage area at Woodside – National Resources Wales  
ii. Apologies from JC for next meeting on 4th October 2017
iii. 25th Sept 6.30pm Glen-yr-Avon Finance sub-group meeting
 
13.  Date of next meetings – Wednesday 4th October 2017 and Wednesday 1st November 2017
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.20
 
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk (Proper Officer) / RFO, Llanbadoc Community Council
Back to top Print View