Minutes 2017-10-04 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Wed Oct 11 2017, 04:28PM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Thu Nov 09 2017, 09:41AM ]

 
MINUTES OF LLANBADOC COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING
 
 
Minutes of meeting of Llanbadoc Community Council held at County Hall, Usk on Wednesday 4th October 2017 
 
Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Cllr. Peter Sutherland, Cllr. Mark Reardon and Cllr. Steve Waring 
 
Members of the public: 1  
 
1. Apologies for absence: County Councillor Val Smith
 
2. Declarations of interest from members:  Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Committee of Monmouthshire County Council. 
 
Planning Application - DC/2017/01011 – Cllr. James Lawrence declared a personal interest on 30/09/2017 as he is the applicant.  (to withdraw from meeting whilst matter being discussed)
 
3. Police Report 
a. Local police report for September 2017, not received. 
 
4. Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak (time for this session is at the discretion of the chair)
 
A member of the public spoke of their opposition to planning application DC/2017/01044. Neighbours were not consulted, concerns over increased noise, light pollution at night, potential fireworks, increased traffic. 
 
The chair decided to change the running order of the meeting and bring forward items 8biii and 8ci relating to this application. 
 
Cllr. Steve Waring arrived during this discussion and therefore abstained from comment and vote on application DC/2017/01044
 
5. Adoption of Minutes – The chair moved to approve the minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 6th September 2017 – Approved by all present ACTION: Clerk Publish on website
 
6. Matters Arising from the Minutes / Current Business
a. Relocation of Picnic Benches at Usk Island – Correspondence received from Andrew Mason, MCC Partnership Team Officer; Agreements from Llanbadoc Garden Centre and Baron Street Garden Centre to supply 4 new picnic benches, Bunnings of Usk will supply the aggregate and cement and Prescoed Prison are providing a team for the manual work. Request for Community Councillors the visit on the day. Awaiting date.  DISCHARGED 
b. Coleg Gwent Campus Study – MR Spoke to Martin Price, looking at draft proposals in 3 areas; Further development of the Equestrian Centre (further parking maybe required), Development of existing gym/leisure facility to open to public; 1917 building made useable for farmers markets/local produce/Community events/Festivals etc. DISCHARGED until update provided. 
c. MCC Grounds Maintenance Contract 2017/2018 – Correspondence received from Jonathan Wassel, MCC Senior Operations Manager; Apologies from MCC for not maintaining contract for grassed areas at Glascoed until 6/9/2017. Llanbadoc Island has received cuts to date.  DISCHARGED 
d. Glascoed Commons grass cutting & Key holders – JW has a set of keys.  The council proposed a formal complaint to MCC via. Rachel Keeble with regard to unauthorised use of the key to the Commons. ACTION: Clerk ONGOING agenda item
e. Ground opposite Woodside garage – Has now been cut by MCC DISCHARGED 
f. Speeding through Llanbadoc and Monkswood, Speed camera costings – PC on MCC Speeding Committee ONGOING agenda item
g. Give Dog Fouling the Red Card – HJ met with Sue Parkinson, location of Dog poo bin in Monkswood ONGOING agenda item
h. Felled tree at Usk Island, requested by Kay Peacock for Usk Primary School - Pursue with Mark Langley ACTION: Clerk 
i. Ownership of Llanbadoc Island and Glascoed Common Play equipment – JW raised concerns that there could be a discrepancy over the equipment and more detailed confirmation of individual pieces of play equipment was required before removal from asset register and Insurance, ACTION: HJ ONGOING
j. Himalayan Balsam – Letter sent to Mr and Mrs Boughtwood, 20th September 2017 DISCHARGED
k. Triangle of Land in Woodside – No response from Tony Kear, Usk in Bloom – Following committee meeting, still outstanding ACTION: Clerk follow up
 
7.      Matters arising from recent correspondence / New Business
a. Request for funding for a defibrillator cabinet at Usk Rugby Club – Due to the predetermined budget for this financial year, it was a unanimous vote to decline. However, Councillors were supportive of the idea and suggested a quiz night to raise money at which they would provide a team.  ACTION: Clerk to contact Gerry Hawkins 
b. Attendance at OVW Meeting – 5th October 2017, 7.00pm Sessions House Library – MR to attend
c. Ploughing over Usk Valley walk – MR, email received from MCC officer, Ruth Rourke. Awaiting feedback from field officer ONGOING 
d. Usk Town Council reported broken handrail at Usk Island – reported to MCC and on programme of works DISCHARGED
e. Training provided by MCC on Code of Conduct for members on Thursday 19th October 6pm-8pm, circulated presentation and Ombudsman’s guidance ACTION: JS, JL and PS to attend.  ACTION: Clerk to inform Robert Tranter & remind Councillors
 
Planning
 
a. MCC Planning Committee Meeting – Agenda for Planning Committee, Tuesday, 3rd October 2017, 2.00 pm 
(no ward applications)
 
b. Report from the LCC Planning sub group
i. New Development Management Services Fast Track Service – no impact NOTED
ii. MCC Planning Service updates – Scheme of delegation flow chart (email 08/09/17) – NOTED 
iii. Application Number:  DC/2017/01044 – Cefn Mawr Farm, Usk
 
Temporary Change of use from agricultural land to wedding/function venue.
It was noted that the proposal was for temporary use through the summer period with access being provided off a farm track directly off Cefn Mawr lane, which appears to be a Right of Way.  A considerable area has been designated on the application drawings for car parking which if used could generate increased traffic onto Cefn Mawr lane and the subsequent junction with the A472. There does not appear to be a traffic study as part of the application and the group has great concerns with regard to traffic movements accordingly.  We are not sure whether the proposed car parking area would be hard standing or grass which would return to agricultural use at the end of the summer period. We consider that noise could be a possible pollutant but presume that this could be dealt with by the licensing authority.
Considering our concerns, we would recommend Refusal until or unless it may be shown that the access/traffic concerns; potential noise issues and car parking construction etc have been addressed satisfactorily.
 
iv. APPLICATION NUMBER DC/2017/01011 – Upper House, Glascoed
 
Cllr. James Lawrence left the room whilst this application was being discussed
 
Conversion of existing Stone Barn and Car Port into residential accommodation.
Upper house is currently occupied by Mr J. Lawrence, his wife and his parents. We understand that the conversion of the existing barn and car port will allow one couple to move out of the house into one of the conversions and Mr J. Lawrence’s brother relocate into the other conversion. There would therefore be a nett increase in occupation of the site of 2 persons (all in the same family). We also understand that by relocating to Upper House Mr Lawrence’s brother will then be able to farm the land (leased) which he is unable to do at present.  It would appear that there should not be a problem with any new traffic generation because of the modest increase in occupation and the site layout and location. From the drawings submitted there should be no adverse visual impact as existing buildings are intended to be used as per the current envelopes. It was noted that foul water from the proposed conversions would discharge to a new Bio disc treatment plant and surface water to new soakaways and no doubt Natural Resources Wales will ensure that suitable land drainage provisions are made.
The group therefore recommends Approval of the application but suggest that a condition be applied such that the units may only be used as intended with an agricultural tie and not sold on for profit.
  
c. Planning Applications 
 
i. Application Number:  DC/2017/01044
Description of Proposal: Erect a marquee in an open field for the use of wedding events between April and September. Temporary change of use from agricultural land to wedding/function venue for private bookings.
Location: Cefn Mawr Farm, Cefn Mawr Lane, Usk, NP15 1PX
 
Full Council Vote: 7 Against, 2 Abstain, 0 For – Recommend Refusal ACTION: Clerk to inform MCC
 
ii. Application Number:  DC/2017/01011 -
 
Cllr. James Lawrence left the room whilst this application was being discussed
 
Description of Proposal: Conversion and change of use of redundant cart shed and stone barn from agricultural to residential use together with the siting of a temporary caravan for residential purposes during the construction period.
Location: Upper House, Cwm Road, Glascoed, Monmouthshire NP4 0TF
 
Vote: 7 For, 2 Abstain, 0 Against – Recommend Approval ACTION: Clerk to inform MCC
 
iii. Approved Application DC/2017/000027 – Correspondence relating to this application
APPLICATION DC/2017/000027 - THE ERECTION OF A RAW WATER PUMPING STATION (RWPS), FISH SCREEN, TRANSFORMER STATION, SECURITY FENCING, LIGHTING, UNDERGROUND PIPEWORK, LANDSCAPING, BUILDING DEMOLITION, MODIFICATIONS TO EXISTING SITE ACCESS, ALONG WITH TEMPORARY COFFER DAM, CONSTRUCTION COMPOUND AND CONSTRUCTION ACCESS. PRIORESS MILL RWPS, PRIORESS MILL LANE, USK
 
Work ongoing, MR reported on residents working group to liaise directly with Welsh Water every month. Will report back or highlight any problems. ONGOING – MR to update council.  
 
d. MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential) – No cases discussed
 
9. Finance 
a. Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting and all agreed payments from the last meeting made. 
b. Responsible Finance Officer Report, including review of the accounts and spending against budget – review of spreadsheet regarding pending payments carried over into new financial year ACTION: Clerk to contact OVW and Usk Town Council for ideas for new spreadsheet for next year. ACTION: James Lawrence to look at spreadsheet ONGOING ACTION: Clerk Combine headings ‘Footpath and Signage’ with ‘Llanbadoc Island’
c. Passbook balance £17,667.44 confirmed and signed by JW 
d. Payments 
i. Individual Councillor remuneration requests - none
ii. £25.00 Chair’s allowance September 2017 proposed PC and JC ACTION: Clerk
iii. £35.00 Clerk’s expenses invoice September 2017 Proposed JC and SW ACTION: Clerk
iv. Merlin Waste – August and September collections pending invoice (Ask Merlin to collect from new bin in Monkswood when installed. Council members noted future additional payment for collections from this bin) ACTION: Clerk 
v. £200 Hire of Digger – JW (approved at meeting held on 7/6/2017) - Deferred
vi. Pin board to repair BAE Noticeboard - SW (approved at meeting held on 6/9/2017) Deferred
vii. £15.00 Isobel Brown – Hosting fee monthly – pending invoice Sept 2017 Deferred
viii. £150 Isobel Brown – Draft Outline – pending invoice Nov 2017 Deferred
ix. £200 Isobel Brown – Completion – pending invoice Jan 2018 Deferred
x. £35 One Voice Wales Training – Information Management held on 15th Sept attended by the clerk – pending invoice Deferred (apply for bursary) ACTION: Clerk
xi. JC requested to attend, OVW Training Module 5, The Council Meeting in Usk on 19 Oct – Approved by Council (apply for bursary) ACTION: Clerk
 
10. Reports
a. (Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial - Group met on Monday 25th September 2017
(Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
 
JC provided a summary of the meeting 
 
The budget was reviewed under the individual headings, as we are 6 months into the financial year. 
All headings are within budget.   
It was noted that footpath and signage should be combined with Llanbadoc Island budget heading. ACTION: Clerk
When Council expenditure has been agreed for a particular financial year, but payment has carried forward to the following financial year (due to receiving a late invoice) this should be highlighted on the accounts to avoid appearing that the budget for the following year has been over spent.  A separate column was suggested, which may prove difficult from an administrative perspective.  At the meeting it was decided to highlight these amounts for clarity.  ACTION: Clerk
 
Draft minutes – it has been agreed previously that the minutes were to be shared on the Friday following the council meeting.  Councillors have the opportunity to inform the clerk of any alterations to be made until midnight on the following Tuesday.  On the Wednesday, they will be uploaded to the website and no changes made after that.
 
Playground equipment at both Llanbadoc Island and Glascoed Commons upon investigation appears to be covered by Monmouthshire County Councils Insurance policy, JW requested further clarity – ACTION: HJ to pursue. 
 
i. Equality and Diversity Policy – All policies to be published on new website when live ACTION: Website Sub-Group
ii. Bank account - happy to continue with current arrangements but will review again at budget setting
iii. Council Risk Assessment to be carried out annually – LCC ‘Draft’ Risk Assessment prepared and copies given to each member.  Agenda for adoption at next council meeting ACTION: Clerk
iv. Review of Internal Audit Procedure – LCC ‘Draft’ Internal Audit Policy prepared and copies given to each member.  Agenda for adoption at next council meeting ACTION: Clerk
v. Google Group – Notification to residents that now not going ahead ACTION: HJ 
vi. MCC Grant assistance for LCC website and tarmacking Llanbadoc Island – informed that on this occasion MCC cannot help.  DISCHARGED
 
b. (Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
i. BAE noticeboard. Measure and purchase new pin board to replace the existing – ACTION: SW ONGOING
ii. Llanbadoc Island picnic table Insurance claim – Clerk – crime number required ACTION: Clerk ONGOING
iii. Glascoed Crossroads – JC raised at MCC Cluster meeting, refer to MCC central point for Town and Community Councils ACTION: Clerk ONGOING
iv. Llanbadoc Island potholes and scalping’s – Due to priorities this has been postponed ONGOING
v. Walks leaflets – Available in telephone box JW confirmed ONGOING progress on new walks leaflets
vi. Volunteer Risk Assessments – Checked by JL and confirmed by JW, now in force 
vii. Future Pathcare Projects.  Create priority list – ACTION: SW 
viii. Jenny’s Bushes – SW & JW have walked the area and prioritised the work that needs doing.   
Costings likely to be in line with Financial Regulations document – All in favour to proceed with single contractor if works if under £600.00 (check Financial regulations document to confirm if including VAT) ACTION: Clerk
 
JW also informed the council of a request from a Western Power surveyor to perform some tree cutting in relation to the power lines, Smeardon’s contracted to complete work.  JW signed for authorisation.  Copy provided to the clerk for record keeping. 
 
c. (Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Steve Waring, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Mark Reardon and Cllr. James Lawrence) 
 
i.      Financial report document to be published on new website when live
ii.     Full Council photo 
iii.    Declaration of Members Interests to be published on new website when live 
iv. LCC Standing Orders, Financial Control and Equality and Diversity documents to be published on new website when live
v. Updating Johan Klos – ACTION: Web group 
 
d. Report from Usk Cluster Meeting – 13th September 2017 6.30pm County Hall – JC attended and reported that The Well-Being Act was discussed and Community Leadership Programme Training is available to support the volunteer sector.  Usk Park Project are sharing best practice. Funding for road signs maybe available. ACTION: Clerk to pursue
 
e. Clerk attended OVW training on Information Management - IT Security and Data Back-up to be on Agenda for next meeting ACTION: Clerk
 
   11.  Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman)
 
• MCC Cleaners have asked if the LCC Council meeting can be finished by 8pm in the future as they need to lock the building at 8.15pm. Investigate change of meeting time to 6pm-8pm ACTION: Clerk Check with County Hall room bookings. 
• CONSULTATION: GUIDANCE FOR PRINCIPAL COUNCILS ON THE REVIEW OF COMMUNITIES (email received from OVW on 03/10/17) Agenda item ACTION: Clerk 
• Support for Cllr. Peter Sutherland in a Charity Gig on 28th October 2017 Cancer Charity starting at 7pm, Venue Usk Conservative Club
  
12.  Date of next meetings – Wednesday 1st November 2017 & Wednesday 6th December 2017
 
There being no further business the meeting closed at 20.12
 
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk (Proper Officer) / RFO, Llanbadoc Community Council
Back to top Print View