Llanbadoc Ward
posted on Mon Oct 08 2012, 01:39PM
by JohanKlos
[ Edited Mon May 15 2017, 04:57PM ]

Llanbadoc

 
llanba4.jpgIn the westerly ward of Llanbadoc (with an electoral roll of approximately 210) by the Bell Pool of the river Usk, is situated the beautiful St Madoc’s church which originally belonged to the nuns of Usk Priory.The original site was chosen by the Romans to guard the nearby ford before being taken over by monks on their way to the priory following the Roman withdrawal to Caerleon.
The magnificent cedar trees in the churchyard were reputedly grown from seeds from the Protestant cemetery in Rome by Edward Trelawny.
By the lychgate of the church is a memorial to Alfred Russel Wallace, naturalist, explorer, geographer and co-founder of the Theory of Evolution (with Charles Darwin).Alongside the church by the river, is the amenity area of Llanbadoc Island with a children’s play area (currently being improved by the community council), picnic tables and riverside walks.
Edward Trelawny, writer and friend to the romantic poets Byron and Shelley built a large house (Twyn Bell) on land above St Madoc’s church (by the site of an early Roman camp) before moving to nearby Cefn Ila in 1846.
llanba5.jpg
llanba6.jpgThe house (near Cefn Ila farm, now part of Usk college estate) was converted into a convalescent home in 1925 before closing in the 1970s and subsequently being burned down.  Coed Cymru currently have plans to improve and manage the extensive woodlands at Cefn Ila which would then be accessible to all.
To the west of the ward at The Rhadyr (on the A472) lies the Usk agricultural college campus of Coleg Gwent, the largest college of further education in Wales, part of which is the site of the new Monmouthshire County Council offices. The open prison at Prescoed to the south ( built by prisoner labour in 1939) holds approximately 170 category D adult males, generally serving out the last years of their sentences and being re-integrated into the community before release.
Back to top Print View