Minutes 2018-02-07 Llanbadoc Community Council
posted on Wed Feb 14 2018, 01:57PM
by Olivia Beaumont
[ Edited Thu Mar 08 2018, 01:55PM ]

Minutes of Meeting of Llanbadoc Community Council to be held at County Hall, Usk on Wednesday 7th February 2018 6.00pm
Present: Cllr. Hilary Jones (HJ), Cllr. Peter Sutherland (PS), Cllr. Jenny Carpenter (JC), Cllr. John Wright (JW), Cllr. Peter Clarke (PC), Cllr. Ed Winter (ED) and Cllr. Jo Storey (JS)
Members of the public: County Cllr. Val Smith
The acting chair for the meeting Cllr. Peter Sutherland 
1. Apologies for absence: Cllr. James Lawrence 
2. Declarations of interest from members:  
Planning Matters - Cllr. Peter Clarke has previously declared a prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct, due to his position on the Planning Committee of Monmouthshire County Council. 
Land opposite Usk Island car park - Cllr. Peter Sutherland declared a prejudicial interest in this item under the member’s code of conduct. 
3. Police Report: 
a. Local police report – This was received and circulated by email prior to the meeting. It was agreed to review at next the next meeting. 
4. Meeting adjourned and members of the public invited to speak: (time for this session is at the discretion of the chair)
No comments
5. Adoption of Minutes: The Chair moved to approve the minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 3rd January 2018, Proposed by HJ and seconded by JW. All present in favour. The acting chair signed the minutes.  ACTION: Clerk Publish on website as adopted Done 08/02
6. Matters Arising from the Minutes / Current Business:
a. Relocation of Picnic Benches at Usk Island - ACTION: Clerk follow up with MCC emailed 08/02
b. Replacement of picnic table at Llanbadoc Island – ACTION: Clerk follow up with MCC emailed 08/02
c. Glascoed Commons grass cutting & Key holders – Email sent to MCC 18/12 no reply to date – ACTION: PS to raise at MCC Strong Communities meeting. Email dated 18/12 forward to PS on 08/02
d. Speeding through Monkswood – Remain on Agenda ACTION: PC to pursue 08/02 Clerk emailed Roger Hoggins as agreed on 16/01
e. Triangle of Land in Woodside – no further update, ACTION: Clerk Defer to next meeting
Cllr. Jo Storey arrived and joined the meeting
f. Signage to replace signs at Woodside approaching Usk River Bridge - £294 quote from MCC does not include VAT or installation (information passed to Usk in Bloom) – ACTION: Clerk Obtain figure for installation and defer to next meeting. emailed 08/02
g. Councillor Vacancies 
• Vacancy for Monkswood – Advertised, can co-opt from 4th December 2017 – ACTION: Clerk Create generic poster emailed 08/02
• Vacancy for Llanbadoc – Advertised, can co-opt from 7th February 2018 – ACTION: Clerk Create generic poster emailed 08/02
h. Major Gas Works in Usk – Implications for HGV’s / Designated routes during closure of High street – PS confirmed start date 19th February, all residents have been well informed.  DISCHARGED
i. The Beaufort Public House introduction with Mad Dog Brewery DISCHARGED 
j. Responsibility for preservation of ex Railway buildings opposite Usk Island Car Park – ACTION: Clerk Deferred to next meeting 
k. OVW Wales review of Community and Town Council Sector – Response submitted by HJ on 12th January 2018 - DISCHARGED
l. BAE Noticeboard – ACTION: JW 
m. Removal of grit bin in Glascoed – MCC confirmed added to program of works DISCHARGED
n. Update on Usk Town Hamilton-Baille Report – The clerk at Usk Town Council confirmed they have met with Rachel Rawlings, MCC with regards to the HB report, waiting to hear from Roger Hoggins. Usk Town Councils initial thoughts on shared space will be fed into a wider community consultation exercise which will take place in April. LCC to be informed when question/survey goes live in April.  Paul Keeble, MCC confirmed they have had discussions with both Ben BH and Usk TC. This piece of work currently sits on traffic & road safety scheme programme. The MCC Place Board are in discussions with Usk Town Council about future funding however he will contact the Town Council to see if we should proceed with a brief to develop the proposals further. ONGOING
o. Payroll changes – Play works, Communication from MCC. Clerk has not received payslips. ACTION: Clerk emailed on 07/02 
p. Heavy Goods Vehicles Glascoed Lane – Email to Highways sent – ACTION: Clerk Follow up email sent 08/02
q. Land opposite Usk Island – Paula Clarke, MCC reported that no evidence of any residential use of the site during the last visit, however MCC has received a planning application in respect of the storage of caravans, containers and trailers at the site. This application is currently invalid however once it is registered it will be able to be viewed and make LCC can comment. The case officer is Andrew Jones ONGOING
7. Matters arising from recent correspondence / New Business
a. Resurfacing Llanbadoc Island – JW reported, the clerk has contacted MCC highways and asked for a quote. ONGOING 08/02 Clerk sent email prompting a quote from MCC, following original request on 29/01
b. BT phone box at Glascoed door jammed and handle to be readjusted – BT Contacted 15/01 by HJ – No further action DISCHARGED.
c. Report of large tree on the edge of Common by residents Mary and Frank Keefe who thought the tree was unsafe.  – JW reported he had had a meeting with Bettina Broadway Mann, Arboriculturist on 26/01/18. Large tree from corner of Yew Tree Lane that had fallen onto the telephone line has been cut down by persons unknown. Storm damage survey to be completed by Bettina Broadway Mann, immediate reaction, no danger however fallen trees need clearing. Cost implications to remove tree / tree surgery on tree at edge of common. Residents aware that LCC are pursuing. Formal report fee approx. £200 plus tree surgery work required - ONGOING HJ suggested an article in the next LCC newspaper
d. Code of Conduct Training to be hosted by Goytre Fawr CC, Goytre Fawr Community Centre, School Lane in Penperlleni. ACTION: EW to attend. HJ asked everyone to look at training list again with a view to attending training.  JS has the list of the OVW training. 
e. GDPR AWARENESS FOR TOWN AND COMMUNITY COUNCILS - TUESDAY, 27TH FEBRUARY 2018 AT 6PM in the Council Chamber, County Hall, Usk – Respond to MCC by 9th Feb on how many attending – PS, EW, HJ, JW, JS, PC confirmed attendance, JC can’t attend ACTION: Clerk to respond with numbers to MCC and agenda for March meeting emailed 08/02
f. Keep Wales Tidy - Spring Clean Cymru 1st – 4th March -  JW proposed a "Litter Picking Day" for Glascoed Sunday 4th, but unfortunately is unavailable.  Concern outside HMPS Prescoed. ACTION: Clerk Ask Keep Wales Tidy for kit emailed 08/02  
8. Planning
a. MCC Planning Committee Meeting – Agenda for Planning Committee on Tuesday, 6th February 2018, 2.00 pm – no ward applications
b. Report from the LCC Planning sub group 
• MCC Pre-application Community Consultation for major planning applications response submitted on 16/01/18 DISCHARGED
• MCC Local Development Plan "Consultation on the Draft Review Report" Public consultation Monday 11th Dec 2017 – Mon 5th Feb 2018 – Reviewed by JW, report formed part of the agenda of this meeting. DISCHARGED
c. Planning Applications 
Application Type: Planning Permission 
Description of proposal: To build a small extension to create a sunroom/orangery
Location: Golden Grove, Estervarney Lane, Monkswood Usk NP15 1QE
Fast Track application response required before 1st Feb – LCC Recommended approval following meeting on 16/01/18, clerk submitted LCC’s response below to MCC on 17/01/18
Having considered this application, the planning group's response is - The application is to construct a relatively small extension to the west side of the existing building known as Golden Grove situated in Estavarney Lane, Monkswood to create a sunroom/orangery. As the east elevation of the building faces the road the proposed extension on the west side would therefore be hardly seen and appearance would not therefore be an issue, although in fact the proposals are in any case in keeping with the existing.  There would appear to be no issues in terms of traffic generation nor planning policies and the group notes that pre-application consultations have taken place with the planning officer, who finds the proposal " fully acceptable".  As such the group suggests that the council recommends approval of this application. DISCHARGED
d. MCC Enforcement Cases (confidential) 
9. Finance 
a. Copy of accounts circulated by email in advance of meeting and all agreed payments from the last meeting made  
b. Responsible Finance Officer Report, included review of the accounts and spending against budget 
c. Passbook balance £19,721.62 confirmed and signed by acting chair, Cllr. Peter Sutherland
d. Payments 
i. Individual Councillor remuneration requests - None 
ii. £50.00 Chair’s allowance – Approved JC & PC   
iii. £35.00 Clerk’s expenses – Approved JC & PC
iv. £299.99Council Laptop – Approved JC & PC
v. £200 Isobel Brown – Completion of website, awaiting invoice DEFERRED
vi. £495.80 plus VAT - MCC Grounds maintenance contract 2017 – Notified on 7/11/17 in an email from MCC to propose payment as Invoice due Approved JC and PC
vii. £1,441.74 Invoice from MCC, salary (Oct-Dec 2017) Approved JC and PC
ACTION: Clerk to make payments – All payments posted 13/02
10. Reports
a. (Sub-Group) Procedural and Financial 
(Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. Peter Clarke, Cllr. Jo Storey, Cllr. James Lawrence, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter) 
Full Council met on 16/01/2018 when the 2018/19 Budget and Precept was agreed, and the clerks job description, contract and salary were reviewed. Full Report, including agreed Budget for 2018/19 formed part of the agenda of this meeting. 
ACTION POINTS from 16/01/2018
1. Submit Precept request to MCC ACTION: Clerk emailed 18/01
2. Set up Budget as agreed ACTION: Clerk Done 18/01 
3. Investigate Woodland Trust Membership ACTION: Clerk ONGOING
4. Pursue MCC for Speed activated road signs in Monkswood, ACTION: Clerk to write to Roger Hoggins, understand that a sign at Woodside will be installed by 31st March 2018, what are plans for Monkswood? emailed 08/02 ACTION:PS To take up with MCC Stronger Communities 
5. ACTION: JW To contact MCC for a quote for re tarmacking of Llanbadoc Island, Clerk requested quote on 29/01 and followed up by email on 08/02
As documented in the LCC Internal audit policy, Finance and Procedural Group to meet to:
• Review Effectiveness of the internal Audit
• Review the Councils system for internal financial control 
• Review Audit Plan
• Review Terms of reference for the Internal Auditor
• To check that the council has carried out a risk assessment in the last 12 months
External Audit Themes 2017/2018 – One Voice Wales October 2017 Bulletin – Use of Reserves and Internal Audit - finance to group to review
ACTION: Meeting of Procedural and Financial Group in February to review all of the above. 
Council voted to open a HSBC bank account – ACTION: HJ to start application process
ACTION: Clerk to check all policies and procedures are the most up to date on the draft website
b. (Sub-Group) Environment (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Hilary Jones, Cllr. James Lawrence) 
No report
c. (Sub-Group) Website (Cllr. John Wright, Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Cllr. Ed Winter and Cllr. James Lawrence)
Notes from Web Group meeting held on 12th January 2018, formed part of the agenda for this meeting. 
ACTION POINTS from 12/01/18
1. Members Interest Table ACTION: Clerk to complete table and pass to Isobel. EW now actioning 
2. Councillor Remuneration – ACTION: EW to check the requirements via the Ombudsman policy document. 
3. Councillor Profile and photo ACTION: EW 
4. Group photo ACTION: JW 
5. Updated photos – ACTION: Web group (JW/JC/EW)
6. Transfer of domain name. ACTION - Ed 
Notes from the Web group meeting held on 29/01/18 below. ACTION: Clerk To circulate Isobel’s response Done 08/02
EW confirmed that Isobel Brown can also set up email hosting  
d. Community Meetings 
• Strong Communities attended by Cllr. Peter Sutherland on 11th January 2018
Short notice of communication of information to clerks – noted by MCC
Activity expansion Land opposite Usk Island Car park – no enforcement issues
Gas Mains in Usk – MCC accepted more info to be provided for HGV rerouting
MCC agreed value in a shared space exercise towards the end of works
Llanbadoc – VAS Speed restriction signs to be in place by 31st March 2018
• One Voice Wales Meeting attended by Cllr. Jo Storey on 18th January 2018 – Minutes circulated by email. The next meeting will take place at 7pm on Thursday 19th April 2018 in the Library at the Sessions House, Usk.
• Usk Cluster Meeting attended by Cllr. Peter Sutherland and Cllr. James Lawrence on 23rd January 2018 – report circulated to councillors via email.  
   11.  Matters to be considered for the next agenda (at the discretion of the chairman)
• MCC ‘Give dog fouling the red card meeting’ – ACTION: JS to investigate dog poo bag dispensers for side of dog poo bins
• Review of Community Boundaries and Electoral Arrangements – The acting chair, Peter Sutherland requested that County Cllr. Val Smith take forward the strong views of Llanbadoc Community Council who are opposed to this. Postal correspondence from John Pearson detailing proposals given to EW to scan and circulate to full council for individual comments. ACTION: All  ACTION: Clerk to contact John Person and agenda for next meeting. 
• Peter Clarke provided his apologies for the next 2 meetings ACTION: Clerk
12.  Date of next meetings –  Wednesday 7th March 2018 and Wednesday 4th April 2018
There being no further business the meeting closed at 19.40
Olivia Beaumont, Clerk (Proper Officer) / RFO, Llanbadoc Community Council
Notes made Web Group meeting 29th Jan 2018 Present: Cllr. Jenny Carpenter, Cllr. Ed Winter, Cllr. John Wright and Isobel Brown (Website plus). 1.COUNCIL section of new website. a)  A new tab “Members Interests” Draft a table which will run from !st May 2017 to date and which Olivia should then check each month and amend as may be necessary. ACTION: EW to draft and pass to Isobel. b) COUNCILLOR REMINERATION section. It was decided to retain the existing photo image until we find a better one. ACTION: EW,JC,JW c) YOUR COUNCILLORS section. EW to supply photograph and life history. Isobel will update JL’s info. ACTION:EW and Isobel. d) ABOUT THE COUNCIL section. A new photo to be taken at the February council meeting which Isobel will upload. Then renew with missing/new faces as necessary. Time of meetings to be changed to 6.00pm. ACTION: web group and Isobel. 2. COMMUNITY INFO section of new website. a) “Walks Leaflets” section. A dedicated button to be added and the photos to be upscaled so there is not so much text. b) The text to be horizontal rather than vertical (as currently shown). c) A photo to be added to Glascoed Commons. d) ‘Grass Routes’ a separate button to be made, but one paragraph to be retained as an intro. ACTION: Isobel 3. COMMONS AND WALKS section on new website. a) The Commons. ACTION: JW to draft a list of the Commons, a short description of each and a photo of an overall map and an individual photo of each commons area to Isobel. b) Walks ACTION: JW/JC to draft an intro to walk 6 and walk 7 leaflets to match 1-5. 4. TRANSFER OF DOMAIN NAME – ACTION: Isobel to contact Johan and liaise with Ed re transfer. 5. SITE ANALYSIS Future analysis of site to be discussed once live. 6. PROGRAMME Go live at the end of March 2018 giving a 4-week bedding in period before Johan’s contract ends at the end of April 2018.In the meantime EW will sort out individual councillor email addresses. ACTION: EW
Back to top Print View